Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

Re: Suggest a card for me with my new found credit

Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Not being a wiseass here, but go for a library card.

Use your Discover card frequently, right up to its limit, if possible, and pay it off each and every month, in full.

That's where you'll find the key to higher credit lines, IMO.

Good luck with everything!!

I appreciate your insight, but I feel my credit score, income and history ready me for a more prime card.  While I like my discover, the 1k limit isn't going to accomplish what I want.  I see people with mid to high 600's obtaining 2 of the 3 cards I've listed. 

Starting Score: EQ 619
Current Score: EQ 735, TU 732, EX 745(Lender Pulled)
Goal Score: EQ 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor

I just hit the LUV button on Juniper and went from 1100 to 2240.  I guess that helps.  Still worthless since the card has a 49 AF now

Senior Contributor

Aweeesssommmeee!!! That's your highest limit though right?! You might wanna wait til that limit updates on your reports before you app for a new card, so that whichever bank you decide to app with will likely try to match your highest limit. You could get a $2-3k limit perhaps...vs a $1,500-2k limit. Just seems like lenders competitively match limits.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Regular Contributor

Luckily this card closes on the 23rd, so it will report in a couple weeks.  I don't plan on Apping for a few more weeks, or possibly after my mortgage so we'll see!

Is it a hard fast rule that if you don't have a 5k visa card already, you wont get a signature?  I mean my Jared account has 7400

Regular Contributor

woof, the CLI for Juniper was an HP on TU...never again

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

jtc411 wrote:

Luckily this card closes on the 23rd, so it will report in a couple weeks.  I don't plan on Apping for a few more weeks, or possibly after my mortgage so we'll see!

Is it a hard fast rule that if you don't have a 5k visa card already, you wont get a signature?  I mean my Jared account has 7400

Hi, jtc411,

Am I understanding this correctly?  You are apping for credit cards while you are somewhere in the process of obtaining a mortgage loan?

Regular Contributor

Uborrow-Upay wrote:

jtc411 wrote:

Hi, jtc411,

Am I understanding this correctly?  You are apping for credit cards while you are somewhere in the process of obtaining a mortgage loan?

No, I'll be apping once I close.  We are hoping to be done and close on a house within a few weeks or so!  Sorry didn't word that right.  I was already bummed Juniper took an HP on me last night for the CLI

Frequent Contributor

It couldn't hurt to try for an Amex credit card. Thanks to your Zync it would only be a hard if approved and a soft if declined. I think the plain blue and the Delta skymiles have the lowest underwriting requirements out of the bunch. You could also eventually pc the blue to the blue cash or blue sky which are generally considered to be more difficult to obtain than the regular blue. 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Regular Contributor

I'm actually not looking into Amex these days.  I had a CO about 8 years ago with them and just got my foot back in the door with the Zync.  I app'd for a Delta at the same time and was declined and one of the reasons was "internal risk"...so I'm putting that off for quite some time I think

I really ultimately want the Cash+, but it sounds like I should make a choice between the Freedom and BOA 123.  Anyone have an idea of which one would make me more return?  Part of me thinks a consistant 3 and 2 on gas and groceries would be more helpful than 1 on everything and 5 on bonus catagories

Still open to opinions.

Just pulled my new Reports and I'm at 755 EQ, 718 TU and 721 EX Fako

Senior Contributor

With the right lender, you could get a $5k + limit given your Jared's that is a high limit card! The new high limit will also look great too once reported... My experience is that once you can get a couple of cards, even store ones, with high limits($4-5k) reporting, that's when you can get approved for higher limit 'bank cards', like mc, visa, amex, disc.

Barclay's and Chase seem to be great with matching limits ;-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.