Did you mean: 

Suggest my every day card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggest my every day card

Hello all,
On an IPhone so please bare with me.

I currently have 5 cards, with the succes from my recent app spree in aug.

Discover More 5k
Barclays Reward world MC 5k
Us Bank Cash+ 5k
Amex BCP 2.4k
Chase Continental MC (auto changed to the united mileageplua by my rewards must have grandfathered because they are worse $2 spend for only 1 pt. ) that has a 12k limit

I'm currently trying to figure out which card is best to be my everyday card. They are all some form of cash back/rewards cards but need a little help. In an ideal world I would try to PC my chase to sapphire preferred or freedom and add a bank account but that's not possible for me right now.

So I'm asking with the cards above which is best to use as my everyday card to maximize rewards/cash back. Also if there is a way to increase one of them by opening a bank account etc. please do tell.

I PIF every month so APR is a non issue.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Suggest my every day card

I think I would go with the AMEX BCP.  6% on groceries and 3% on gas.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 8
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I agree with LS. But, since grocery isn't an everyday expense...it may benefit you to use the discover more during 5% gas times... both Discover (after 3k) and Amex give 1% on all other purchase.

So, I think either of those would be a good pick

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 3 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@aamex wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

I agree with LS. But, since grocery isn't an everyday expense...it may benefit you to use the discover more during 5% gas times... both Discover (after 3k) and Amex give 1% on all other purchase.

So, I think either of those would be a good pick

Yeah I would put that discover in the mix when the cas category is running.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 8
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I don't know what types of rewards are on the Barclays card or the chase centennial. With that said I'd use Amex primary since you will get CLI in 61 days then every 6 months for a SP usually it triples the current CL. I would use discover for rotating catagories only. I would use the US Bank Cash+ as a back up where Amex is not accepted. I would also use it for all of my online bills since that is a 5% catagory. That's what I would do with these cards if they were mine. Only my opinions here. Not sure what I would do with Barclays or chase since I don't know how great the rewards.
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 5 of 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

If it were me, I would: get your united rewards fixed. It should be at 1 point per dollar for non united purchases. Then, pick drug stores for your us bank 2% category and restaurants/hotels for your 5%. Then use bcp for gas/groceries/dept stores, us bank for restaurants/hotels/drug stores, discover for rotating categories and united for everything else. United miles are generally valued at greater than 1c per mile. sd the Barclays. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Break down I guess is the below:

Discover I use the 5% categories religiously for the quarter

Chase I stopped using for the time being (will def look into fixing the rewards program thanks for that tip)

US Bank I'm doing 5% restaurants/utilities and 2% drug stores

Amex BCP i use the 6% groceries very very often so will continue to use it for that.

Barclays is just $1 for 1 point

I've been using the USBank Cash + as everyday just because when redeeming $100 you get the $25. So thats where I'm kinda at. Not sure if I should app for another card or just fix the Chase Continental/United Card. Maybe PC it to Freedom or Sapphire.

Thanks for the responses so far Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, the term "everyday" card denotes a card used for non-bonus category expenses, such as the rotating 5% found in the Freedom, Discover, and US Bank Cash Plus.

The Fidelity Amex at 2% is a good everyday card.  The Priceline rewards at 2% is also excellent, along with the Travelocity card.  Anything that can achieve 2% (The Charles Schwab one was great) for *all* non-category spending would make the ideal "everyday" card.

I think the BofA no fee travel at 1.5% is pretty good.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.