cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for a first credit card?

tag
JohnnyCrawl

Suggestions for a first credit card?

Hey guys, I need help on deciding on what I should get as my first credit card to improve my credit score. I would prefer a travel credit card because I would love to travel and so having a credit card where I can earn rewards or mileage to pay off those nasty airline ticket prices would be awesome. Other than that I also would like suggestions for student credit cards or regular credit cards (whichever more can get me rewards and save me money from bad annual fees and such). 

I'm a student in college and also a soldier in the National Guard. II have a credit score of 684 from using Credit Sesame. Things I know that could have established my credit score is my job as a National Guardsman, a store mall credit card I accidently signed up for, paid the balance in full and then canceled, and student loans. Other than that I don't have any cars, phones, houses, that are under my name or could affect my credit score. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Re: Suggestions for a first credit card?

I think you're better off getting a secured card first. I believe US Bank offers some secured travel cards. 

Message 2 of 10
Untitled
New Contributor

I was able to get the Amex Blue Sky card, with just student loan payments, so you might have a shot?

Message 3 of 10
w003ptr
Contributor

Student Discover It or Citi Dividend.

Not travel cards, but as a student with no history you might have trouble getting any travel card worth using.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 4 of 10
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@w003ptr wrote:

Student Discover It or Citi Dividend.

Not travel cards, but as a student with no history you might have trouble getting any travel card worth using.

US Bank DOES offer secured travel cards. I am actually surprised cause I've never seen this before and they may be worth it. 

https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/credit/aero_mexico/usb_aeromexico_sec.cfm?ics_src=19649

https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/credit/lanpass/usb_lanpass_sec.cfm?ics_src=93602

https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/credit/distancia/usb_distancia_sec.cfm?ics_src=19717

https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/credit/korean_air/usb_skypass_secured.cfm?ics_src=83963

Message 5 of 10
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/student-rewards-credit-card.go

If you can qualify for this one, it's not secured but it's a student card that offers travel rewards.

Message 6 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@JohnnyCrawl wrote:

Hey guys, I need help on deciding on what I should get as my first credit card to improve my credit score. I would prefer a travel credit card because I would love to travel and so having a credit card where I can earn rewards or mileage to pay off those nasty airline ticket prices would be awesome. Other than that I also would like suggestions for student credit cards or regular credit cards (whichever more can get me rewards and save me money from bad annual fees and such). 

I'm a student in college and also a soldier in the National Guard. II have a credit score of 684 from using Credit Sesame. Things I know that could have established my credit score is my job as a National Guardsman, a store mall credit card I accidently signed up for, paid the balance in full and then canceled, and student loans. Other than that I don't have any cars, phones, houses, that are under my name or could affect my credit score. 

Thanks!

You might want to try for a Navy Federal card, while you still can qualify.

basically, you need a card, any card. But preferrably not a store card if you can avoid it. Then use that card each month a very modest amount, pay in full, for 6-12 months. Then you will have a good score, and will be able to apply for the cards you want (cards with good benefits).

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 10
JohnnyCrawl

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Putting everyone's suggestions into consideration (and my own research online), I've come up with 7 credit cards I think I should get. I don't know if most of these cards will accept me for my fairly new credit score but I'll research more. 

1. Navy Federal GoRewards
2. Navy Federal Visa Signature Flagship Rewards
3. Capital One Venture Rewards
4. Capital One VentureOne Rewards
5. Gold Delta SkyMiles
6. Discover It Student
7. Bank Americard Students

Anyone who had any of these cards can vouch for the quality and their experiance using it and if I (with a 694 credit score and a pretty average income job) can live off one of these cards and improve my credit score?

Message 8 of 10
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@JohnnyCrawl wrote:

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Putting everyone's suggestions into consideration (and my own research online), I've come up with 7 credit cards I think I should get. I don't know if most of these cards will accept me for my fairly new credit score but I'll research more. 

1. Navy Federal GoRewards
2. Navy Federal Visa Signature Flagship Rewards
3. Capital One Venture Rewards
4. Capital One VentureOne Rewards
5. Gold Delta SkyMiles
6. Discover It Student
7. Bank Americard Students

Anyone who had any of these cards can vouch for the quality and their experiance using it and if I (with a 694 credit score and a pretty average income job) can live off one of these cards and improve my credit score?

With your score, I think you should definitely go for the NFCU cards, as they're known for giving very generous CLs.  Gold Delta would be good, too, so you can get in with AMEX.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 10
Plasticard
New Contributor

If all else fails too, I would try getting a credit card with whomever you back with. At least they are someone you will have some history with, and can grow from there.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.