Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for which to apply for....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggestions for which to apply for....

Looking for some suggestions on what card to apply for.

Fico scores across the board sit around 785, I only have one card right now with a small 5k limit and about 10% util.

Only wanting to add one card to my portfolio, looking for 0% APR for a year or more, good rewards and one I could possibly get instantly approved for around 15k.

I have no negatives at all and many many closed in good standing accounts, auto loans etc.

I am closing on my house and will need to purchase some items for it so that is why I am looking to add to my portfolio with something that has better rewards.  Lowes and Home Depot are not an option since there are no rewards. 

Thanks all!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Suggestions for which to apply for....

I thought Lowes offered 5% cashback, but maybe I'm mistaken?? I have always heard that for the best FICO scoring we should have at least 3 revolving tradelines, so that is something to think about. As far as which card has 0% APR for a year or more that has rewards AND will start you with a credit line of 15k - is tough. Maybe an Amex card. Cap1's Quicksilver is another option, but they only offer 0% APR for the first 9 months. What is the card you already have?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, you said your scores are 785 across the board, but your signature shows the following:

Experian - 433 (2/9/2016)
Transunion - 427 (2/9/2016)
Equifax - 426 (2/9/2016)

Is 785 the correct score?

Message 3 of 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought Lowes offered 5% cashback, but maybe I'm mistaken?? I have always heard that for the best FICO scoring we should have at least 3 revolving tradelines, so that is something to think about. As far as which card has 0% APR for a year or more that has rewards AND will start you with a credit line of 15k - is tough. Maybe an Amex card. Cap1's Quicksilver is another option, but they only offer 0% APR for the first 9 months. What is the card you already have?

Lowes offers 5% off your purchase with use of their card. It's not cashback but same premise really, so you were not really mistaken. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a lot of factors to consider

• do you travel?
  • what is the one current card (5k) you have?
  • what categories do you spend most on?
  • do you care about annual fees?

Good no annual fee cards with low intro APR I like are Chase Freedom, Discover It and Amex Everyday. In fact I have all 3.

Just curious but why are the scores so low on your signature if you have 785 across the board?

Message 5 of 10
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are a lot of factors to consider

• do you travel?
  • what is the one current card (5k) you have?
  • what categories do you spend most on?
  • do you care about annual fees?

Good no annual fee cards with low intro APR I like are Chase Freedom, Discover It and Amex Everyday. In fact I have all 3.

Just curious but why are the scores so low on your signature if you have 785 across the board?

Agreed with all these points/questions. Another consideration that may factor into approval, especially starting limit, is your income and debt-to-income ratio.

In addition to the card suggestions above I'd add the Bank of America Rewards card, which offers 3% cashback on gas, 2% cashback on grocery, and 1% cashback on everything else. It has a $100 signup bonus and offers 0% APR for a year. Anecdotally I have a limit over your desired one, but of course YMMV.

You may also want to consider the Citi Double Cash which offers unlimited 2% cashback - 1% for purchases and 1% for payments. It offers a great 0% APR for 18 months! However, Citi is notorious for giving lower starting limits on the DC than many people are used to based on their other cards. That said, many people, including myself, have had good luck getting nice CLIs after having the card for awhile.

Edited to add: I don't have any credit union cards, but I believe people often have very good luck attaining high starting limits on these. One that comes to mind (that I don't have any personal experience with but have frequently seen on the boards) is the PenFed Rewards Card. It also has a $100 signup bonus, 12 month 0% APR, and offers 5 pts on gas, 3 pts on supermarkets, and 1 pt on everything else. Again, I can't personally recommend it, but it seems to fit your criteria and I've heard good things about it.

Message 6 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I also agree we need more information besides 0% intro that interest you. Chase Freedom Unlimited has a decent $150 bonus right now.

Who is your current card with? Any negatives with any lenders (even if they're off your reports)?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my friends account she has let me use it to figure this out since posting for me usually doesn't yield a great response.  I hope this ok.

Her scores are the ones in the signature but my scores are 785 across the board.  My main interests are good rewards on gas and groceries, and the 0% interest for a while.  I am looking to purchase items such as furniture, household items and I spend a great deal in gas since I run customers around a lot (realtor).   I am really open to all sorts of suggestions, something my stand out that I haven't thought about.  Thanks all!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is my friends account she has let me use it to figure this out since posting for me usually doesn't yield a great response.  I hope this ok.

Her scores are the ones in the signature but my scores are 785 across the board.  My main interests are good rewards on gas and groceries, and the 0% interest for a while.  I am looking to purchase items such as furniture, household items and I spend a great deal in gas since I run customers around a lot (realtor).   I am really open to all sorts of suggestions, something my stand out that I haven't thought about.  Thanks all!

American Express - Blue Cash Everyday card – gives 3% cashback on groceries, 2% back on gas, and no annual fee. Also has an intro 0% APR but length varies between 12-18 months, so check for pre-qualified offers first.

American Express - Blue Cash Preferred card - gives 6% cashback on groceries, 3% back on gas, but has a $75 annual fee. Also has an intro 0% APR but length varies between 12-18 months, so check for pre-qualified offers first.

Bank of America – 3-2-1 Cash Rewards card – gives 2% cashback on groceries, 3% back on gas, and no annual fee. Also has 12 months 0% APR.

Citi - Double Cash - 2% cashback on all purchases, and no annual fee. Also has 15- 18 months 0% APR.

Then there is always Discover It and Chase Freedom which has rotating 5% categories, which typically include groceries and gas at some point during the year.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the suggestions! I am thinking them over but really like a few.  I know I will have to control myself for apping for more than one Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.