Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions on CC

tag
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Suggestions on CC

So, I'm at the point in my rebuild where I will be getting a CC. I need some suggestions on the best way to go.

I'm looking a 2, toy limit cards.

I've also read on the forum that often times it's better to go with a single, larger limit card over 2 cards with lower limits. Is there any truth/merit in this?

If I go the one card route (for now), it will be a Navy CU Secured.

Thoughts?

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Suggestions on CC

Do you have any credit at all?

If so, what is your score?

GECRB is great for building credit assuming you have just a little credit history....

they issue a lot of store cards, so maybe find a store you like and see if GECRB issues credit there?

or Cap One is good for building, but not known for growing with you as far as limits are concerned.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 6
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Long story short,

I have a ton of good installment accounts. My revolving credit is for the birds. My fault, I admit it and my score has suffered because of it.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@madmann26 wrote:

Long story short,

I have a ton of good installment accounts. My revolving credit is for the birds. My fault, I admit it and my score has suffered because of it.

From a pure FICO perspective, it's not worth getting one large limit card over two toy limit ones; however, when we're talking about secured cards that point is moot: get one pretty big limit one, and dump 99-300 into a small limit one.  

NFCU secured is an excellent choice, and since it's easy to add to the limit over time on that card, open up that card and one other (BOFA or Cap One are good / reasonable choices) at the minimum amount and go on with life would be my recommendation.

        
Message 4 of 6
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Thanks Revelate.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 5 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@madmann26 wrote:

Long story short,

From a pure FICO perspective, it's not worth getting one large limit card over two toy limit ones; however, when we're talking about secured cards that point is moot: get one pretty big limit one, and dump 99-300 into a small limit one.  

NFCU secured is an excellent choice, and since it's easy to add to the limit over time on that card, open up that card and one other (BOFA or Cap One are good / reasonable choices) at the minimum amount and go on with life would be my recommendation.

+1.      IMO, it is more important to end up with large deposit/CL at the end of the secured card life.   That is when you will being unsecuring and or applying.    Toy limits tend to stay toy limits.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.