Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SunTrust launches 3 rewards cards

tag
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Re: SunTrust launches 3 rewards cards

Picked this card up.  It'll be useful for travel purchases if I don't already hav ea card that matches.  It's also going ot be great to get the fee waived for Global Entry.  Since I don't have an annual fee, I'm happy to have this in my wallet.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

is it fair to assume that whenever a bank issues/markets a new reward card that they want to be SERIOUSLY FLEXIBLE when they issue this card even with smaller SL or really get more people to sign on for their credit card. Someone intending on an APP SPREE who is wanting their maybe first rewards card would be enticed by this offer.

anyone know which bureau they use. I have a Car loan through SunTrust and they used TU exclusively. My last inquiry was from them in June/July 2015 for auto loan. Would anyone think with a 669 TU score i can be approved for their card. I mean after all they dont make money by being very selective, i would assume worse they can or will do is start with a real small SL but still issue a card. I guess thats better than trying AMEX everyday CASH or BOA rewards or anything similar in rewards card.

I m from Texas and i believe suntrust is OHIO and neighboring states so am assuming aggressive marketing not all over the United states but pretty much in their own territory states.

all this i bring up only becoz i m desperately in need of a Credit Card with BT which i would prefer over lending club/promise financial personal loans. 

Chase/CITI/Barclays/AMEX  r not good for me. Bof A, WellsFargo and SunTrust might work. I've been having to HOLD MYSELF tight FOR NOT APPING since my last inquiry from June/July 2015. Its so HARDDDDDDDDDD to hold yourself back from APPING.

Message 12 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thought it was all a pretty good deal somewhat... 5% on gas and groceries ONLY in your first year you will receive, then drops down to 2%. Hmm, no thanks. I will personally stick with AMEX Blue Cash. I guess it could be good if you use it for the bonus redemption methods they offer their customers... 

Yes, that card doesn't seem attractive, especially since the $6K is gas and groceries combined, whereas BCP is unlimited gas

Well, AMEX is fine, except for those of us whose primary grocery and gas spend does not code on AMEX as grocery or gas rewards. Something like 40% of the grocery market share in the US is held by grocers who do not code as grocery on AMEX. This includes WalMart at 24.5%, Costco at 7.6% and parts of Kroger, say 8% out of their 12.9%. The alternative, if you want grocery or gas rewards, is to pay more for the actual goods and gas, which some of us are loathe to do.

With only limited category spend for Freedom, and likely Discover, in 2016, this 5% is a lot better than Wells Fargo, which is only during the first 90 days.

The follow on 2% on a no AF card is not terrible either, so I think they may get good uptake on this offer. And speaking of AF, how about that AF on the BCP? What is, that, $75? Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

travel one looks nice. any geo limits on these?

Message 14 of 17
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

I applied for it from the West Coast.  I previously have had an account with Suntrust, though.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 3 year prime rate bt offer is kinda unique. I also think their travel card looks decent too. 

Why aren't we hearing more about these? 

https://www.suntrust.com/personal-banking/credit-cards

Message 16 of 17
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

is it fair to assume that whenever a bank issues/markets a new reward card that they want to be SERIOUSLY FLEXIBLE when they issue this card even with smaller SL or really get more people to sign on for their credit card. Someone intending on an APP SPREE who is wanting their maybe first rewards card would be enticed by this offer.

anyone know which bureau they use. I have a Car loan through SunTrust and they used TU exclusively. My last inquiry was from them in June/July 2015 for auto loan. Would anyone think with a 669 TU score i can be approved for their card. I mean after all they dont make money by being very selective, i would assume worse they can or will do is start with a real small SL but still issue a card. I guess thats better than trying AMEX everyday CASH or BOA rewards or anything similar in rewards card.

I m from Texas and i believe suntrust is OHIO and neighboring states so am assuming aggressive marketing not all over the United states but pretty much in their own territory states.

all this i bring up only becoz i m desperately in need of a Credit Card with BT which i would prefer over lending club/promise financial personal loans. 

Chase/CITI/Barclays/AMEX  r not good for me. Bof A, WellsFargo and SunTrust might work. I've been having to HOLD MYSELF tight FOR NOT APPING since my last inquiry from June/July 2015. Its so HARDDDDDDDDDD to hold yourself back from APPING.

I opened a SunTrust checking account while visiting an area with physical branches knowing that SunTrust has been marketing some products, like auto loans, outside of their traditional area. One example is LightStream, a division of Suntrust bank, that offers automobile financing. I earned my bonus and waited for solicitations to occur...

I received several emails about the card that offers the gas and groceries incentive rewards. After a few emails I applied. Suntrust instantly approved $8700, using EQ. So far I'm happy with their card.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.