Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎04-28-2012
0

Surprise Amex approval...

Tonight, out of curiosity I decided to fill out an online app for the AMEX HHonors card.  It's the last card I want in my wallet (and the one I want the most, honestly), and it was my goal card for 2013.  Now, the only reason I apped now is because I knew for sure I would be denied (my EX report has already been pulled twice this month for my Amazon and Green cards), but also knew it would be a soft pull, and I wanted to see how that system worked.

 

Got a 14 day "further review needed" message. Figured I'd have a denial email any second.  Ran a search on here about the 14 day message and read about checking application status.  Did just that....imagine my surprise that it said APPROVED!!! Whoa! I haven't even had my Green card for a month!

 

I will call in tomorrow to find out the limit.  My guess is $1000, which would be fine since AMEX has the 61 day CLI thing.

 

I will keep you all updated!  This card is going to get a ton of use, and the 40,000 points after $750 in spending will come in handy for a wedding I need to go to in June Smiley Happy

TU: 755 (5/13/15) | EQ: 758 (6/1/15) | EX: 765 (6/1/15)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $10,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $7,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Chase Hyatt, $7,000 (09/2013)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,099
Registered: ‎10-02-2012
0

Re: Surprise Amex approval...

It seems like a common low limit for that card is $2,000. You may be surprised and get a $2,000 limit.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    


     $17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎04-28-2012
0

Re: Surprise Amex approval...

That would be awesome!

TU: 755 (5/13/15) | EQ: 758 (6/1/15) | EX: 765 (6/1/15)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $10,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $7,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Chase Hyatt, $7,000 (09/2013)
Established Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: Surprise Amex approval...

cards usually have a quota to fill, if you don't have enough them they lower the standards a little, I guess most people are just jumping on starwood amex for hotels since it's considered the best hotel card.


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎04-28-2012
0

Re: Surprise Amex approval...

[ Edited ]

distantarray wrote:

cards usually have a quota to fill, if you don't have enough them they lower the standards a little, I guess most people are just jumping on starwood amex for hotels since it's considered the best hotel card.



That works out well for me then!  I like lower key hotels like Hampton Inns as opposed to the options Starwood has.  I work in a high end hotel so when I go on vacation I just want a basic cute room and I don't want anybody bugging me with fancy amenities Smiley Wink

TU: 755 (5/13/15) | EQ: 758 (6/1/15) | EX: 765 (6/1/15)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $10,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $7,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Chase Hyatt, $7,000 (09/2013)
Established Member
Posts: 152
Registered: ‎09-17-2012
0

Re: Surprise Amex approval...

[ Edited ]

Congrats, you may be surprised what you get. I got mine starting at $6,000. Smiley Happy

 

Edit: Sorry thought you got the Starwood card not the HHonors. Still could be surprised tho. I know I was.

Established Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: Surprise Amex approval...


isoldmyatlas wrote:

distantarray wrote:

cards usually have a quota to fill, if you don't have enough them they lower the standards a little, I guess most people are just jumping on starwood amex for hotels since it's considered the best hotel card.



That works out well for me then!  I like lower key hotels like Hampton Inns as opposed to the options Starwood has.  I work in a high end hotel so when I go on vacation I just want a basic cute room and I don't want anybody bugging me with fancy amenities Smiley Wink


I'm not too worried about hotels since I get $80 room prices at any Mariott hotel =) even Ritz on southbeach =)

It helps to have manager friends there, and I do occassional catering for them since my dad runs a catering company. The managers always pull strings and gets us the employee rates


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎04-28-2012
0

Re: Surprise Amex approval...


distantarray wrote:

isoldmyatlas wrote:

distantarray wrote:

cards usually have a quota to fill, if you don't have enough them they lower the standards a little, I guess most people are just jumping on starwood amex for hotels since it's considered the best hotel card.



That works out well for me then!  I like lower key hotels like Hampton Inns as opposed to the options Starwood has.  I work in a high end hotel so when I go on vacation I just want a basic cute room and I don't want anybody bugging me with fancy amenities Smiley Wink


I'm not too worried about hotels since I get $80 room prices at any Mariott hotel =) even Ritz on southbeach =)

It helps to have manager friends there, and I do occassional catering for them since my dad runs a catering company. The managers always pull strings and gets us the employee rates


 

Yup, we do that at our hotel too.  Although the lowest employee rate at our hotel is generally $140....normally we run between 400 and 600 a night so it's a nice deal for friends and family.

TU: 755 (5/13/15) | EQ: 758 (6/1/15) | EX: 765 (6/1/15)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $10,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $7,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Chase Hyatt, $7,000 (09/2013)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,297
Registered: ‎07-23-2012
0

Re: Surprise Amex approval...

all my inq are 2 months + old. i know that sounds little. lol 

 

in feb they will all be 6+ months old. 

i know ill get denied for the card i want but its a soft pull. 

but if i do get accepted i wont get the back dating... 

should i go for the true earnings? 

twiddling my thumbs. 

+ i really want that new spade =/ 

 

 

p.s. congrats on the approval. 

Current: Discover Fico 709 3/15 Walmart Fico 743 4/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 1 EX 6 | Most Recent: 4/09/2015
Over 12 Months:9


2015 Goals:
Lower Utility
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000
Established Member
Posts: 152
Registered: ‎09-17-2012
0

Re: Surprise Amex approval...


creditnocash wrote:

all my inq are 2 months + old. i know that sounds little. lol 

 

in feb they will all be 6+ months old. 

i know ill get denied for the card i want but its a soft pull. 

but if i do get accepted i wont get the back dating... 

should i go for the true earnings? 

twiddling my thumbs. 

+ i really want that new spade =/ 

 

 

p.s. congrats on the approval. 


What card do you think you'll get denied for? Is it the true earning?

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.