Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping for a better card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Swapping for a better card?

Years ago I signed on for an AT&T Card to always get better long distance rates.  With cell phones, I never use long distance, so I'm wasting my extra benefits.  

Cards are all paid off monthly and have low usage.

I'd like to switch to a card with benefits I can really use (hotel points on top of their own points program)!

To keep my score high do I:

1. Keep the current card and apply for the hotel card, not using the current card?

2. Close the current card and apply for the hotel card?  If so, do I ask for the same credit limit, or more, as the old card?

Im assuming with my  high score, I can get a higher limit, although I don't need it, and I can get the new card without regard to the old card.  

Thanks,

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: Swapping for a better card?

@Anonymous wrote:

Years ago I signed on for an AT&T Card to always get better long distance rates.  With cell phones, I never use long distance, so I'm wasting my extra benefits.  

I'd like to switch to a card with benefits I can really use (hotel points on top of their own points program)!

1. Keep the current card and apply for the hotel card, not using the current card?

2. Close the current card and apply for the hotel card?  If so, do I ask for the same credit limit, or more, as the old card?

Im assuming with my  high score, I can get a higher limit, although I don't need it, and I can get the new card without regard to the old card.  

Thanks,

Is it a Citi AT&T?

If so, you can just do product change. You can pick any cards line up on citi page.

Request CLI every 6 months.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 2 of 3
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Swapping for a better card?

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks,

If you're just considering the effects of your score, it is best to keep the current card and apply for the hotel card. Sockdrawing a card with great payment history and no baddies on it is fine for now! Also, keeping that card on your reports will help with approval. Closing the account then apping for another may raise a warning flag. Once the new account ages, then you can cancel the AT&T card if it's just going to be worthless to you!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.