CreditSwaps

Swapping for a better card?

Years ago I signed on for an AT&T Card to always get better long distance rates.  With cell phones, I never use long distance, so I'm wasting my extra benefits.  

Cards are all paid off monthly and have low usage.

I'd like to switch to a card with benefits I can really use (hotel points on top of their own points program)!

To keep my score high do I:

1. Keep the current card and apply for the hotel card, not using the current card?

2. Close the current card and apply for the hotel card?  If so, do I ask for the same credit limit, or more, as the old card?

Im assuming with my  high score, I can get a higher limit, although I don't need it, and I can get the new card without regard to the old card.  

Thanks,

Valued Contributor
armbenderc

Re: Swapping for a better card?

CreditSwaps wrote:

Years ago I signed on for an AT&T Card to always get better long distance rates.  With cell phones, I never use long distance, so I'm wasting my extra benefits.  

I'd like to switch to a card with benefits I can really use (hotel points on top of their own points program)!

1. Keep the current card and apply for the hotel card, not using the current card?

2. Close the current card and apply for the hotel card?  If so, do I ask for the same credit limit, or more, as the old card?

Im assuming with my  high score, I can get a higher limit, although I don't need it, and I can get the new card without regard to the old card.  

Thanks,

Is it a Citi AT&T?

If so, you can just do product change. You can pick any cards line up on citi page.

Request CLI every 6 months.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe

Re: Swapping for a better card?

CreditSwaps wrote:

Thanks,

If you're just considering the effects of your score, it is best to keep the current card and apply for the hotel card. Sockdrawing a card with great payment history and no baddies on it is fine for now! Also, keeping that card on your reports will help with approval. Closing the account then apping for another may raise a warning flag. Once the new account ages, then you can cancel the AT&T card if it's just going to be worthless to you!

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k | SavingStar American Express $14.8k

FICOS: EX 744 EQ 706 TU 733 Credit Karma (TU) 785 Transrisk 808/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 764 Credit.com (EX) 764 VantageScore 3.0 719 Quizzle (EQ) 721

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}