Did you mean: 

Switch from ON to BR?

tag
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Switch from ON to BR?

@dilettante wrote:

@Boragard wrote:

Take this from someone who used to work for Old Navy for 4 years.  During my time there, I have learned that GAP INC. who owns all of the following:  Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and the now defunct Fourth & Towne all offer some form of credit card.  These store cards come in the regular store brands and Visa versions.  As a former associate we were told to get as many people to sign up for the stores credit card.  During the application process we did not know anything like if you will be approved or denied, or if you will receive the store brand or visa version.  What we do know is we would receive an incentive for getting you to sign up. 

Once you are approved, you can use that same card across all of the stores mentioned above.  However, since some of the above mentioned stores are more expensive than others the rewards structure changes as well.  For example, at Old Navy if I remember correctly you got $5 or $10 back for every $100 you spend.  The other stores told us the reward structures and thresholds that needed to be met but i have since forgotten them.  I can say that Banana Republic has a higher reward to obtain.  Since you can indeed use your Old Navy card there it would be wise to use it there since one can get rewards faster as they have lower thresholds to be met as opposed to Banana Republic. 

As a cashier I have seen customers with all 3 brand cards and used them interchangebly at Old Navy.  Furthermore, all the coupons attained can be used at any brand store since they are all Gap Inc.  So in shore, that cashier was just doing his job at trying to get you to sign up for a Banana Republic Card.  You are allowed to open all 3 brand cards if you wish as they are all backed by GE money.  Just know, that you can not to a Product Change from Old Navy to Banana Republic. 

Unfortunately, any store (even high priced ones like NM, Saks, Nordstrom) with credit cards will always give you a sales pitch to open their accounts because they pressure their sales associates constantly to open new accounts. Some stores even have quotas for their sales staff.

Gap and BR will issue $10 rewards after $200 spent vs. Old Navy - $5 after $100. But Gap and BR are the only cards that have an upper tier status (Silver and Luxe) that give a few extras such as free ship at any amount and free alterations at BR, etc. If those features are not useful to you, then there is no need to open up any other of their brand cards. I found it useful because I do spend over $800/yr and quite a few times I need to order one or two thing for the kids online and don't have to worry about meeting $50 spend for free shipping.

+1.

If I were to get one, I'd probably go BR for aesthetic reasons, TBH.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 11 of 12
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Switch from ON to BR?

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

yeah, they are basically the exact same cards.

Just remember: sales people get $$$ for credit apps. When I worked at JCP several years ago, I would get $2 per app. I got about 500-600 apps one year, which came out to $1k+ LOL

Not necessarily true. I used to work in retail and while the employees were definitely encouraged to push cc apps, we didn't receive any monetary rewards for getting people to sign up. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.