Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to MR from cash back?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Switch to MR from cash back?

@mongstradamus wrote:

Thats interesting theory to test out. I have been contemplating what to do with my EDP. If i am going to use it primarily as just an card for groceries. I think premeir will get gas travel and restuarant duty, if the card ever gets here. Some months i struggle to hit the 30 swipe min for 50% bonus is why i am contemplating just downgradig to the ED. Potentially get SPG for a new everyday spend card or use one of my AA cards for everyday spend. Trying to save up AA points for upgrade to first class on cathay trip next year sometime. 

Rough week for card deliveries!

In my view, all things equal, it should be either:  (1) EDP standalone; or, (2) ED & PRG.  

I don't think it's worthwhile absorbing the fee on both.  It's a tough choice, given the PRG's non forex, 2% restaurants, and $100 Airline credit.  If you pay for the EDP, then the only purpose for your PRG would be dining and Airfare.  Even then, dining at 2% isn't that much greater than 1.5%.

Message 11 of 76
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Thats interesting theory to test out. I have been contemplating what to do with my EDP. If i am going to use it primarily as just an card for groceries. I think premeir will get gas travel and restuarant duty, if the card ever gets here. Some months i struggle to hit the 30 swipe min for 50% bonus is why i am contemplating just downgradig to the ED. Potentially get SPG for a new everyday spend card or use one of my AA cards for everyday spend. Trying to save up AA points for upgrade to first class on cathay trip next year sometime. 

In my view, all things equal, it should be either:  (1) EDP standalone; or, (2) ED & PRG.  

I don't think it's worthwhile absorbing the fee on both.  It's a tough choice, given the PRG's non forex, 2% restaurants, and $100 Airline credit.  If you pay for the EDP, then the only purpose for your PRG would be dining and Airfare.  Even then, dining at 2% isn't that much greater than 1.5%.

I don't think i travel enough to warrant the huge af of PRG, i know other people situation may be different. The original plan was ED/EDP+ Premier to cover almost all spending. Gas groceries and eating out covers an lot of spend. What do with the non category spending is where i don't know what to do . If i put it on amex then i will keep and put it on EDP, if i put it on another card i will probably just downgrade the EDP to ED. 

Also now that my PRG miles have posted i have to see how i want to manage my ~100k MR , if i want to dump them all into SQ for first class suite down the road. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 76
Open123
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I don't think i travel enough to warrant the huge af of PRG, i know other people situation may be different. The original plan was ED/EDP+ Premier to cover almost all spending. Gas groceries and eating out covers an lot of spend. What do with the non category spending is where i don't know what to do . If i put it on amex then i will keep and put it on EDP, if i put it on another card i will probably just downgrade the EDP to ED. 

Also now that my PRG miles have posted i have to see how i want to manage my ~100k MR , if i want to dump them all into SQ for first class suite down the road. 

Sorry, misread your post.  I thought you were considering EDP & PRG, instead you were combining EDP & Prestige Premier, which does make sense!  Got lost and confused with the Ps! 

*Edited* Sorry, having trouble reading this morning!

Message 13 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

True about 1.5 not being that much less than 2 for restaurants. My next round of overthinking things involves who gets what, how and when. 

Current AmEx cards: 

TE - backdated to 1987 (obtained in 12?13?) - me primary, DH AU $4200 CL

BCP - obtained 4/15 - me primary, DH AU $15k (courtesy of 3x on activation)

Plat - DH only, new

The whole costco thing also throws an unknown in here. I want to do whatever I can to keep the 1987 card. Smiley Happy I've heard they're only offering people BCE. Not helpful. 

I thought about trying to PC the BCP since it's got such a nice CL and I don't really NEED another TL. I know it'd avoid any bonus, but it'd also help AAoA and Inq. But, if I'm going to also go for a PRG, then there'd already be a HP so what the heck. And AAoA is overrated, right? I'd have to check, but I'm sure I'm still at about 6 years. I've read about some people PCing to the EDP from the BCP when it first came out. But I've also read recently that you can't. 

IF we went with the two new cards, I figured I'd do them for me on (hopefully) 1HP. DH would need to be on the EDP, since it would be gas, groceries, general spend and we'd need swipes. Maybe I don't put him on the PRG to save him the AAoA hit? Then if I downgrade or cancel down the line, he can get one and get the bonus (could he anyway if he had been an AU?) I'd thought about doing the EDP when he got the Plat, but chickened out. This would put (virtually) all new MR in my account (hopefully with 25k and 50k bonuses...thinking through making the spend) and he'd have his 100k. 

The alternatives are apping for the EDP for him and me being AU and waiting on PRG. Or do both for him and not get me a PRG. I can use RC for restaurants since lots of the spend I was planning on to meet the 10k for Marriott gold would be diverted for spend bonuses. Smiley Indifferent That would keep all the current AmEx cards in one account. Maybe that makes the most sense? The only thing that would suck is if he didn't get a great EDP limit, he'd have no donor. Mine eventually could be. He's 718 EX. 

The last scenario is actually sounding like it makes the most sense. What say you? 

Message 14 of 76
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

True about 1.5 not being that much less than 2 for restaurants. My next round of overthinking things involves who gets what, how and when. 

Current AmEx cards: 

TE - backdated to 1987 (obtained in 12?13?) - me primary, DH AU $4200 CL

BCP - obtained 4/15 - me primary, DH AU $15k (courtesy of 3x on activation)

Plat - DH only, new

The whole costco thing also throws an unknown in here. I want to do whatever I can to keep the 1987 card. Smiley Happy I've heard they're only offering people BCE. Not helpful. 

I thought about trying to PC the BCP since it's got such a nice CL and I don't really NEED another TL. I know it'd avoid any bonus, but it'd also help AAoA and Inq. But, if I'm going to also go for a PRG, then there'd already be a HP so what the heck. And AAoA is overrated, right? I'd have to check, but I'm sure I'm still at about 6 years. I've read about some people PCing to the EDP from the BCP when it first came out. But I've also read recently that you can't. 

-- Since the practice of backdating has been purged, you should make every effort to keep you Member since 87 card.  If this means PC'ing into a less valuable card, though it takes up one of your 4 allowed Revolvers, it's worth it, given your Member Since date.  AAOA is overrated for thick files with plenty of 15+ year TLs, which appears you and your DH may have.  Of course, in the past, those of us to customariy app'ed for 2 January Amexes every year, any adverse AAOA effects were not only completely neutralized, but have been strengthened for years to come.  Not sure now, but in the past, you could not PC from a BCP into the EDP, because of the difference in rewards system.  However, you should call and see if it's possible.  I agree that $150 isn't worth it for a new TL, now that backdating has been purged.

IF we went with the two new cards, I figured I'd do them for me on (hopefully) 1HP. DH would need to be on the EDP, since it would be gas, groceries, general spend and we'd need swipes. Maybe I don't put him on the PRG to save him the AAoA hit? Then if I downgrade or cancel down the line, he can get one and get the bonus (could he anyway if he had been an AU?) I'd thought about doing the EDP when he got the Plat, but chickened out. This would put (virtually) all new MR in my account (hopefully with 25k and 50k bonuses...thinking through making the spend) and he'd have his 100k. 

--  This makes sense, because of simply the PRG's current offer is so compelling--no fee, airline credit, roadside recovery, and 50K MR.  All for $1,000 spend and 2X restaurants and 3X airfare for the year.  You should app for you on the same day (make sure your last Amex app was greater than 90 days, and won't push the 4 revolver limitation), which may result in only a single HP.  Place DH on the EDP, and save the HP, for now.  

The alternatives are apping for the EDP for him and me being AU and waiting on PRG. Or do both for him and not get me a PRG. I can use RC for restaurants since lots of the spend I was planning on to meet the 10k for Marriott gold would be diverted for spend bonuses. Smiley Indifferent That would keep all the current AmEx cards in one account. Maybe that makes the most sense? The only thing that would suck is if he didn't get a great EDP limit, he'd have no donor. Mine eventually could be. He's 718 EX. 

--  If it were me, I'd go with the above plan.  Given that we're now restricted with one bonus per product, save DH's apps for potential future offers.  You never know, but there may be an even better offer for the PRG!  When it pops up, then DH can take advantage of it!  The great thing is for both MR and SPG, you and DH may move points freely to each other consolidating for some extraodrinary redemptions.

The last scenario is actually sounding like it makes the most sense. What say you? 

From my perspective, I like the one where you app for the PRG and PC into the EDP, if possible.  Assuming you can't PC, then app for EDP & one of you should app for the PRG, just because the current bonus is so compelling.

Good luck!  So much fun, isn't it?  LOL

Message 15 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very un-knowledgeable, unhelpful AmEx phone rep. 

No, can't PC. This wasn't all that surprising. 

Then I started asking about the Costco TE. He knew SO LITTLE. He kept reading statements that were incorrect. But the bottom line he told me it would just stop working. No other options. No PC. He told me after it stopped working I could use my BCP at all the places AmEx is accepted and listed Costco, Costco Gas. I said - Uh, no that's the point... Costco isn't going to accept AmEx after that date. Oy. 

What's the best way to get someone who knows something/can do something? Call on a weekday? 

Message 16 of 76
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

You got the infamous uninformed Indian based CSR? As far as I can tell if you don't have 400+af platinum card you won't get us based CSR. I guess you can call and say you want to speak to us based CSR and see if you could get escalated to higher up supervisor

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 17 of 76
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Very un-knowledgeable, unhelpful AmEx phone rep. 

No, can't PC. This wasn't all that surprising. 

Then I started asking about the Costco TE. He knew SO LITTLE. He kept reading statements that were incorrect. But the bottom line he told me it would just stop working. No other options. No PC. He told me after it stopped working I could use my BCP at all the places AmEx is accepted and listed Costco, Costco Gas. I said - Uh, no that's the point... Costco isn't going to accept AmEx after that date. Oy. 

What's the best way to get someone who knows something/can do something? Call on a weekday? 

Ah, Amex support has never been known for being accurate, but this?  Weekdays are usually better, and anyone but this person, I suppose.

Costco is not allowed to PC into any other Amex, but under the circumstances (losing costco to Citi), they will make an exception.  Ordinarily neither the TE or Blue Cash cards may PC into the ED or EDP cards.  However, I was hoping that given the one time Costco exception, they would allow you to PC into a card of your choice and maintain your 87 MS date, which is the best course of action.

Message 18 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could have DH call via the plat and then pass the phone to me. He's got the plat and he's AU on the others...

Message 19 of 76
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I assume you are near LAX if you are in so cal. If you are near LAX i think you probably have access to every airline thats out there. I don't really know where you want to travel , but I think SQ has direct from LAX to Hong kong. Using mr for first class suite wouldn't be too shabby. 

For me i am saving up my MR, UR , and TYP for first class suite from JFK to Frankfurt on SQ. I would just make to look at the partners Amex has and remember you can fly on the alliance partners of Amex's FF partners . For example Air canada is an partner of amex, so you can fly on almost any of the star alliance partners. 

There is also a LAX to Tokyo flight with SQ as welll.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 20 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.