Did you mean: 

Switch to MR from cash back?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Switch to MR from cash back?

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, I didn't realize that ALL MR were 1.5 if you hit the threshold, I thought it was only the gas/groceries. That' helps a LOT in my decision. This is EXACTLY why I wanted to kick this around with all you knowledgeble folk. Thanks! 

On the EDP (much better than ED, in my view), once the 50% triggers by the 30 transactions, all points, however they were earned (besides sign up bonuse) increase by 50%.

I'm currently testing to see if this 50% also applies to extra points from Amex offers.  I earned 1,000 MR for a Whole Foods promo, and waiting to see if the 50% will apply to that too.

It shouldn't count towards that. In the terms they specifically say it won't, but who knows what happens in practice. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 21 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

I avoid LAX if at all possible, but I'll brave it for international flights. Or if they end up with a Centurion lounge while we've got access. DH is still saying he isn't interested in going on international trips. So either he'll come around or I'll find someone else to travel with eventually. I got bitten by that bug when I went to Costa Rica last year on business. It ruined me...nice Marriott resort and all. I used to have a group of girlfriends and we travelled around a bunch in the US. We've not been in touch in a while, but I'm going to have to re-acquaint myself with them perhaps. Or go with my inlaws (who I love dearly) and leave DH home to take care of the animals. Smiley Happy 

Message 22 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or go by yourself Smiley Wink I couldnt sit around waiting on others to decide if they wanted to travel, check if they had the funds or commit then possibly back out last minute so Im going solo next month. I almost picked that Marriott resort but needed an all-inclusive.
Message 23 of 76
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I avoid LAX if at all possible, but I'll brave it for international flights. Or if they end up with a Centurion lounge while we've got access. DH is still saying he isn't interested in going on international trips. So either he'll come around or I'll find someone else to travel with eventually. I got bitten by that bug when I went to Costa Rica last year on business. It ruined me...nice Marriott resort and all. I used to have a group of girlfriends and we travelled around a bunch in the US. We've not been in touch in a while, but I'm going to have to re-acquaint myself with them perhaps. Or go with my inlaws (who I love dearly) and leave DH home to take care of the animals. Smiley Happy 

As time goes by people change and your DH may change his toon about international travel. Although my parents were never big on international travel except to the Caribbean or Canada. They just had no desire to go far beyond their own country. I'm not sure why some people are soo adverse to it and others are soo passionate about it. You could try to get your DH interested in a country you wish to visit by introducing him to the culture. Cuisines, art, history and maybe that will spark his curiosity.  I wouldn't rely on getting a group of girlfriends together, since I have seen those trips fall apart more times than I can count with people backing out and your better off just seizing the moment. 

;
Message 24 of 76
Open123
Super Contributor

This may be shocking to some, but I've travelled so much with family growing up, friends in college, and with my own family that I really enjoy, from time to time, travelling by myself.  Now, I hate dining alone, but it isn't hard to find someone to dine with occassionally when travelling.

Meeting new people, experiencing new cultures, and seeing for myself all these historical sites/venues I've studied and read about is what I really enjoy most about travelling. Hotels, diining, and premium cabins flights are nice, but they're nothing compared to what I had mentioned.

Message 25 of 76
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

This may be shocking to some, but I've travelled so much with family growing up, friends in college, and with my own family that I really enjoy, from time to time, travelling by myself.  Now, I hate dining alone, but it isn't hard to find someone to dine with occassionally when travelling.

Meeting new people, experiencing new cultures, and seeing for myself all these historical sites/venues I've studied and read about is what I really enjoy most about travelling. Hotels, diining, and premium cabins flights are nice, but they're nothing compared to what I had mentioned.

I usually travel alone as well. Especially for international travel I tend to meet plenty of people to socialize with. I dislike travelling in larger groups since people have different ideas about what they want to do and I don't like having to spend parts of my vacation doing things that do not interest me. This works more for international travel though than it does for domestic. I spent two weeks out west travelling around on my own and saw amazing things but it got quite lonely. 

;
Message 26 of 76
Open123
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I usually travel alone as well. Especially for international travel I tend to meet plenty of people to socialize with. I dislike travelling in larger groups since people have different ideas about what they want to do and I don't like having to spend parts of my vacation doing things that do not interest me. This works more for international travel though than it does for domestic. I spent two weeks out west travelling around on my own and saw amazing things but it got quite lonely. 

I enjoy both, but there are times, I prefer to travel by myself.  My Wife feels the same, I think.

In general, I'd agree.  I really enjoy Europe by myself once a year, especially Italy.

Message 27 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't make sense why he doesn't want to travel more. He's got a background in art and degree in history. He traveled the US aLOT while growing up. Almost all road trips. I've traveled the US only to see family growing up. Texas and a handful of midwestern states. With the friends I've hit a lot more of the US, but still not enough for me. I'd said I want to see a lot more of the US before I did anything international but between my trip to CR and watching things like Amazing Race and House Hunters International, I want to go everywhere. 

You guys have got me thinking...

Message 28 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

So...I thought the 25k offer that was floating around was for EDP. Nope. ED. So ED is 25k (incognito) and EDP is 15k. 

What's the possibility of upgrading quickly? Shoot. Someone just posted about upgrading. A couple people I think. It's not a 13 month wait or something is it? 

Message 29 of 76
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So...I thought the 25k offer that was floating around was for EDP. Nope. ED. So ED is 25k (incognito) and EDP is 15k. 

What's the possibility of upgrading quickly? Shoot. Someone just posted about upgrading. A couple people I think. It's not a 13 month wait or something is it? 

Yes, the 25K is for the ED, not EDP, which is at its customary 15K.  

Basically, if you get the ED, all things equal, you can't upgrade until after 12 - 13 months.  There have been some exceptions I've read about, but I'm not sure what the data points are for Amex to grant the request for an early upgrade.

Message 30 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.