Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching CCs for better rewards?

tag
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Switching CCs for better rewards?

The more I read through the forums, the more I think I should consider switching cards for better rewards.  I have a Delta AmEx that's costing a ton (fee went up this year) and although it does get me a companion certifcate, I'm not sure it's really worth what I'm paying.  Then I have an older Chase product that nets me 1% on all purchases.  But all the things I am reading suggest that there are better rewards programs out there.  I saw the link about fee-free rewards cards here, but can anyone suggest other sites to check, or additional places to research cards?  I did some forum searches, but they were real productive.  Must just not have hit the right keywords.

I don't particularly want to open new lines, but I would be adverse to changing things up if it would be worth it.  I have a few cards that are essentially dead weight that I'll be closing (newer cards, for the most part) that I could swap out for better products.  What are your thoughts on this? 

Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Switching CCs for better rewards?

What chase product would that be?
Message 2 of 69
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Listing your cards may help in case product changes are possible. If you product change HPs and possibly inquiries may not be needed.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldnmn wrote:

Listing your cards may help in case product changes are possible. If you product change HPs and possibly inquiries may not be needed.

+1

Message 4 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you product change, You lose the signup bonus.
Message 5 of 69
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If you product change, You lose the signup bonus.

That's why listing the cards would be helpful not all rewards cards give a bonus.

Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Message 6 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

True, I guess.
Message 7 of 69
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Sorry - didn't think to list the specific cards.

My go-to cards at the moment:

AmEx Delta Skymiles Platinum  (we have this for the companion certificate and free checked bags)

Chase Disney Visa Signature  (we will use the rewards from this card one last time in about a year and then after that have no use for Disney-specific rewards)

Other cards:

Target Redcard Visa (use this occasionally for the 5% off)

LL Bean Visa (used to have this for the free shipping, but now Bean does free shipping without the card)

AT&T Universal MC (haven't used this in ages...just kept it because it was there, but plan to close it)

Discover (opened and never used - need to close this or switch to a product that would have good rewards, if possible)

FWIW, I'm not against a hard pull if it gets a card that will benefit me long-term.  Thank you for any feedback!

Message 8 of 69
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Barclay Sallie Mae and Citi double cash seem to be popular for their rewards.

Message 9 of 69
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

I saw the link about fee-free rewards cards here, but can anyone suggest other sites to check, or additional places to research cards?

You can check right here.  Tell us what your major spend categories are (might as well start with where the majority of your spend is going) and what volumes you're running through them.

@disdreamin wrote:

I did some forum searches, but they were real productive.  Must just not have hit the right keywords.

What were you searching for?  I quite often find a site-resitrcted Google search to be helpful.  For this site just add site:ficoforums.myfico.com to your keywords.

@disdreamin wrote:

Discover (opened and never used - need to close this or switch to a product that would have good rewards, if possible)

So you don't have any spend in the 5% categories that change throughout the year?  You don't use any of the retailers that have bonuses in ShopDiscover or whatever its replacement is called?  For other card recommendations it would help to understand why you don't considers Discover's rewards "good".

Are you averse to cards wirth rotating categories?

@disdreamin wrote:

I saw the link about fee-free rewards cards here 

Always consider total cost versus benefit and not just AF.  You're going to have to do some number crunching if you're looking to maximize your rewards.

Message 10 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.