Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching CCs for better rewards?

tag
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Switching CCs for better rewards?

The word of the day: Cheese.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 61 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Why would you want to use a combination of three cards, one of which has an AF, and have to keep track of how much you've spent every month to move onto the next one, instead of one card with no AF?

It seems the OP is exactly the kind of person tbe OBC was made for

How so? The first $6,500 of category spend is at a rate of 1 point. Only after $6,500 does the higher rate kick in.

Oh, right, do the MS thing to get to $6,500 first. Right. Smiley Happy

At the level of spend the OP said he has at groceries and drug stores, i think they will come out ahead with the old blue cash card even if they don't do any MS to reach the $6500. And it will be much less hassle

As long as they are willing to use the OBC exclusively, sure, you can get to a point where later charges in the year are at 5%. Change your mind during the year? Sorry, go back one space. Is the total earned marginally better? Only just.

Then one has to instruct them how to obtain the actual link to app for the OBC, since it is no longer advertised by AMEX.

Where is the link for that card? Google has not been very fruitful.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Lol. Thank you. That was easy. Is the UW the same as for the BCE? Or is it harder to get?

I am assuming it should be fairly similar to the BCE/BCP or Blue Sky. It's probably closer to the Blue Sky, since the APRs are the same. What are your FICOs at the moment?

Lol. They aren't good. EQ 640, EX 652, TU 661. I definitely wouldn't have a chance right now. I was hoping to get my foot in the door with Amex this December when my scores are hopefully in the 700s. I was originally going to seek the BCE, but this BC, which I had never heard of before, has really got everything thinking...

You might be better off trying for a charge card with AMEX first, since the UW is lower on those (since you have to PIF monthly, there's less risk for them). I believe that the PRG has rewards on grocery. Once they "get to know you", you should have no issues getting the BCE/BCP/BC.

I suppose I should try that, but there's no way I would keep the card long term. I guess I could cancel it before the annual fee hits...

Message 62 of 69
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Why would you want to use a combination of three cards, one of which has an AF, and have to keep track of how much you've spent every month to move onto the next one, instead of one card with no AF?

It seems the OP is exactly the kind of person tbe OBC was made for

How so? The first $6,500 of category spend is at a rate of 1 point. Only after $6,500 does the higher rate kick in.

Oh, right, do the MS thing to get to $6,500 first. Right. Smiley Happy

At the level of spend the OP said he has at groceries and drug stores, i think they will come out ahead with the old blue cash card even if they don't do any MS to reach the $6500. And it will be much less hassle

As long as they are willing to use the OBC exclusively, sure, you can get to a point where later charges in the year are at 5%. Change your mind during the year? Sorry, go back one space. Is the total earned marginally better? Only just.

Then one has to instruct them how to obtain the actual link to app for the OBC, since it is no longer advertised by AMEX.

Where is the link for that card? Google has not been very fruitful.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Lol. Thank you. That was easy. Is the UW the same as for the BCE? Or is it harder to get?

I am assuming it should be fairly similar to the BCE/BCP or Blue Sky. It's probably closer to the Blue Sky, since the APRs are the same. What are your FICOs at the moment?

Lol. They aren't good. EQ 640, EX 652, TU 661. I definitely wouldn't have a chance right now. I was hoping to get my foot in the door with Amex this December when my scores are hopefully in the 700s. I was originally going to seek the BCE, but this BC, which I had never heard of before, has really got everything thinking...

You might be better off trying for a charge card with AMEX first, since the UW is lower on those (since you have to PIF monthly, there's less risk for them). I believe that the PRG has rewards on grocery. Once they "get to know you", you should have no issues getting the BCE/BCP/BC.

I suppose I should try that, but there's no way I would keep the card long term. I guess I could cancel it before the annual fee hits...

I would probably get the BCE/BCP/BC in January 2016. It would be a SP if declined, HP if approved since you would have the PRG. And if you are declined for the BCE/BCP/BC, you can choose to keep the PRG if you wanted. Of course, if you get the BCE/BCP/BC, you can cancel the PRG, and not lose any AAoA since it would be backdated.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 63 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a really good idea. I guess I'll apply for the PRG in July and then the BC in January. Hopefully it is still around by then.

Message 64 of 69
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is a really good idea. I guess I'll apply for the PRG in July and then the BC in January. Hopefully it is still around by then.

Any reason why you wouldn't want to app for PRG this month? You'd get an additional 6 months of history with them, which would very likely be helpful.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 65 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Any reason why you wouldn't want to app for PRG this month? You'd get an additional 6 months of history with them, which would very likely be helpful.

Too many recent accounts/inquiries. All the cards in my signature except my WF I have acquired in the past couple months. And that's not including my inquiries from denials. Smiley Sad

Message 66 of 69
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Too many recent accounts/inquiries. All the cards in my signature except my WF I have acquired in the past couple months. And that's not including my inquiries from denials. Smiley Sad

Is that what Amex told you? I've always found that if I apply for another card immediately in the same month that I got approved for one and didn't try to get it on the same HP that I get automatically denied but waiting about 2-3 months really does the trick. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 67 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is that what Amex told you? I've always found that if I apply for another card immediately in the same month that I got approved for one and didn't try to get it on the same HP that I get automatically denied but waiting about 2-3 months really does the trick. 

That is what Amex said in the denial letter when I applied for the BCE last month (it was a long shot with my scores but I figured I might as well take a shot to get the 2014 backdating), but they are absolutely right. I really have had a lot of recent inquiries due to an app spree. 

Message 68 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I a bit to aggressive, but I would not bother with the PRG. Just wait 6 months and apply for the old blue cash. I think you should have no problem if they see no recent inquiries and they see that you have 6 month old chase cards and a significantly longer WF account. 

Message 69 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.