Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching out cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Switching out cards

I used to have 2 cards that I used for a while. Now that I have 5 total revolving accounts (credit cards) what’s the best way to keep them open?

I do have the following:
Cap one QS: $1250 CL ($980 balance)
MSGCU: $1000 CL
Chase freedom unlimited: $2500 CL
Amex Bce: $500 CL
FNBO: $1000 CL

I do have 3 cards put away in my lock box. Cap one is one of them just because I am paying down the balance I was offered 0% balance transfer so I took it and put that card away. I’m keeping my amex in my wallet and will be my daily driver for a while just because I want the X3 CLI in 61 days. Should I just swap between cards every month? Every other? Any input would be nice on this. Thanks!
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Switching out cards

Using your sock drawered cards for a small charge every few months will be enough to keep them open.

Message 2 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

In the case of the card with a balance, making monthly payments counts as usage.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for both answers. I am making more than the minimum on the card with the balance. Just ridingout the 0% balance transfer. My msgcu Card is linked with my bank and also my auto loan. I can just swap funds around to make the payment from my CC then transfer from checking/savings to the card as a payment. I’ll just switch things up and buy lunch on the other cards and pay them off after I have used them. Seems to be fine?
Message 4 of 19
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I try to put reoccurring bills on mine.XM radio gets one, Dollar shave goes to one every month, Auto insurance another, Mortgage another, Gas on two or three, fast food on one or two, Groceries on several, electric bill on one, water bill on another..you get the point? Very easy to keep them active with a little imagination.Smiley Wink

I've went on Amazon and plugged in 50 cent gift card reloading transactions on the cards I use the least.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something I’ll have to play around with but I get what you’re saying with the reoccurring bills and such. Thanks for that as well. Never knew auto insurance could come out via credit. Mine comes out directly from my checking Smiley Surprised
Message 6 of 19
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Something I’ll have to play around with but I get what you’re saying with the reoccurring bills and such. Thanks for that as well. Never knew auto insurance could come out via credit. Mine comes out directly from my checking Smiley Surprised

Auto insurance out of your bank account? Blasphemy.. plain blasphemy I call it. Lol

Some companies don't allow CC payments. All of them should as much as they rip us off!

Smiley Tongue

I changed insurance companies so I could pay with a card.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never looked into it before. I just went to my policy online and bamb there’s a tab off on the side for it where I never noticed. I don’t have many bills to pay but
I’ll be paying them all with my cards for now on and just pay the balances off immediately
Message 8 of 19
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Never looked into it before. I just went to my policy online and bamb there’s a tab off on the side for it where I never noticed. I don’t have many bills to pay but
I’ll be paying them all with my cards for now on and just pay the balances off immediately

Sounds good, as your limits rise allow them to report with the balances before paying. I know it sounds backwards to what the OCD crowd says..lol.

But I'm proof allowing balances to report works if you want to build limits. Ask yourself why would someone want to give you more spending power if your reports don't actually show you spending anything? Now for internal scoring it doesn't matter. I'm talking about other lenders that you don't have a loan or CC with.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright that makes sense. Pay after the statement cuts but before due date obviously. I have always seen people just use them pay it off use then lay it off etc etc.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.