Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching out cards

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Switching out cards

Yup..you want to build a solid track record of using the card. Not just having it on your reports. Ha ha

As long as your utilization is in check..let them report.

Only when you need to manipulate the system for a few extra points, do you allow only one CC to report a balance.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m catching on to what you’re saying. I’ll give it a go this upcoming month with my bills Smiley Very Happy
Message 12 of 19
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Alright that makes sense. Pay after the statement cuts but before due date obviously. I have always seen people just use them pay it off use then lay it off etc etc.

There's no need to pay before the due date if you're going to pay after the statement cuts. I'm like Gmood, all my CCs get paid when they're due. I don't see the point in paying before and my scores haven't suffered because of it. They just took a dip this month when Barclay reported my Ring card which is just over 50% of the CL. But they'll bounce back soon enough. Is it possible that this will keep me out of the 800 club, maybe (but who knows for sure), do I care, no. Once you're over 750, which I'll be well over once I get that debt down, you're more than likely going to get the lowest rate available anyway, so I don't see the need to micromanage my accounts. 

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks lady for the input as well I will definitely give this a go from now on and see how it will play out with scores increases/decreasing. Also with trying to get higher CLs Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 19
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Alright that makes sense. Pay after the statement cuts but before due date obviously. I have always seen people just use them pay it off use then lay it off etc etc.

There's no need to pay before the due date if you're going to pay after the statement cuts. I'm like Gmood, all my CCs get paid when they're due. I don't see the point in paying before and my scores haven't suffered because of it. They just took a dip this month when Barclay reported my Ring card which is just over 50% of the CL. But they'll bounce back soon enough. Is it possible that this will keep me out of the 800 club, maybe (but who knows for sure), do I care, no. Once you're over 750, which I'll be well over once I get that debt down, you're more than likely going to get the lowest rate available anyway, so I don't see the need to micromanage my accounts. 

Right on sister!Smiley Very Happy

800 scores don't hurt, but they sure don't guarantee you an approval or cli either. Seen too many here with those scores still get denied. Use that credit like you stole it! lol

After all that is what its for. On another note, just called Navy Fed about a BT offer. I'm already on one but recieved another offer today. Called to see how that works.

CSR told me I could use the newest as long as the other portion is payed off before that promotion ends. She gave me a 5% reduction on my APR without me asking, to their lowest rate on that card (10.XX %)! They sure have pissed me off in the past and thy're making up for it now.

Message 15 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I don't think Capital One and AMEX care when you pay.

Message 16 of 19
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I don't think Capital One and AMEX care when you pay.

I can't speak to AmEx, but C1 definitely cares when you pay. I missed a payment after not being able to log in for a few days, I thought it was no big deal because I didn't recall using the card anyway. Well, I forgot a couple of PayPal purchase that is connected to my C1 card. The charges weren't for much, less than $200 total, and after I used it at Costco about a week or so after the due date, they sent me an email telling me that I was at risk of getting my card blocked. I was at about $600/$31,000 and for the first time in almost two years late and they were ready to block my stuff. C1 don't play that!

Message 17 of 19
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right on sister!Smiley Very Happy

800 scores don't hurt, but they sure don't guarantee you an approval or cli either. Seen too many here with those scores still get denied. Use that credit like you stole it! lol

After all that is what its for. On another note, just called Navy Fed about a BT offer. I'm already on one but recieved another offer today. Called to see how that works.

CSR told me I could use the newest as long as the other portion is payed off before that promotion ends. She gave me a 5% reduction on my APR without me asking, to their lowest rate on that card (10.XX %)! They sure have pissed me off in the past and thy're making up for it now.

Ok! Smiley Wink And as far as I'm concerned, if my scores (generally in the 770s +/-) aren't good enough to warrant the best rate, then it's probably not an institution I want to do business with anyway. My most recent cards garnered me the best possible rates, so I must be doing something right.

Man all these amazing stories regarding NF and PenFen are really making me itch! Smiley LOL

Message 18 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I should have been more specific. They'd definitely care that you're late. And they love it when you pay in full. But they don't seem to care if you frequently pay to zero or show a statement balance.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.