Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync bank fraud test

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Sync bank fraud test

I made a "big" charge (~ $2K) on my ebates card and it was declined.  I called in and they explained that they needed to make sure it was me.   So they asked me to provide a phone number I could be reached at.   I provided my cell, which wasn't on their record (he then added it), and sent a text to that number which I then had to read back.

Now I might be missing something, but that doesn't sound ALL that a secure method of verification!   A previously registered phone, yes, that's standard, but not one I give now.....  

Now I had called in with my home phone, and had to supply the last 4 digits of my SSN before being connected, so that does provide verification.   But the additional step seems absolutely worthless

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Sync bank fraud test

That does sound a bit odd... At least they're trying Smiley Indifferent

Chase hit me with a fraud alert text and decline when I tried to pay an $87 tab at Langers Deli in LA, CA.. $2K I get, but $87 at a restaurant?

Message 2 of 6
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I have read somewhere on here that they can verify your ID if your cell phone is listed in your name
Message 3 of 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I wonder how that would work for hubby since the cell phones are in my name.
Message 4 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I admit the whole "send a text' thing has always baffled me as well, especially since my cell phone has no name associated with it at all (AT&T prepaid). 

In my case I've had the same number for 10+ years so perhaps it's in a database somewhere as a number "known" to be associated with me, but I doubt it (or at least I doubt anybody checks in real-time when I've been asked for it to confirm my ID).

Other than it's questionable usefulness, I've never had a problem being turned-away due to a verification problem...at least so far.

Message 5 of 6
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how it works with Synchrony but I know Chase makes sure the phone is in your name or associated with your account...at least in my experience.  I tried to have them send a code to my cell that my company pays for and they denied saying that they couldn't verify the number was associated with myself. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.