cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchnorny adding new card to the account?

tag
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

Re: Synchnorny adding new card to the account?

@Anonymous wrote:

Just when I blocked the word Synchrony from my web browser, somebody goes and spells it wrong...

sorry to have disturbed your peace. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 22
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
 AWESOME username by the waySmiley Happy

hahah, thanks! Smiley Happy the trick is to say fast and outloud. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ive tried and it can be quite the tongue twisterSmiley Happy
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Ive tried and it can be quite the tongue twisterSmiley Happy

Just think Sigourney Weaver...

Message 14 of 22
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

ok guys, to recap: synchrony decided to upgrade my BR store card to a visa. i can even see the card online when i login, asking me to activate to see full account details. My plan was not to activate the card, but let the store card stay as is.

Now here's my question: I haven't received the card so far. Probably got lost in the mail or so. What should be my course of action? Stay where I am and not bother with the card? Or call them and tell them I haven't received the card, and not going to activate? I'm sort of worried there's a card of me out there floating around, and I don't have access to account details to see if it's being charged, etc.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@go_FICO_self wrote:

ok guys, to recap: synchrony decided to upgrade my BR store card to a visa. i can even see the card online when i login, asking me to activate to see full account details. My plan was not to activate the card, but let the store card stay as is.

Now here's my question: I haven't received the card so far. Probably got lost in the mail or so. What should be my course of action? Stay where I am and not bother with the card? Or call them and tell them I haven't received the card, and not going to activate? I'm sort of worried there's a card of me out there floating around, and I don't have access to account details to see if it's being charged, etc.

Usually the store card is slated for closure within their system once the Visa upgrade has been issued. This is what I was told when they upgraded my AEO card from 2014 to AEO Visa.

The store card being slated for closure in their system is not normally dependent upon activating your other card; as they told me, it's already slated for closure within the system due to the issuance of the Visa version - not the activation of it.

My concern (especially with the way Synchrony has been acting lately) is that it is NOT a good a idea to receive a card from them and let it sit around with activating it. You could end up with a few scenarios if you do that - system could auto close store card after two or three months due to issuance of Visa version, then Synch could close Visa version down after a few months of being out there but not activated.

They could also then report the Visa as being closed on your credit report, which you don't want. Worse yet would be having both show up as closed on your credit report, which could happen with an auto closure and a lack of activation closure occurring in tandem.

Keep in mind that Synch could assure you all day long this will not happen; but the system could indeed do either of the above and it wouldn't be able to be reopened if it happened.

I'd just proceed along the path of store card closure and Visa activation. Have them re-send the Visa to you if it's lost.

I wouldn't call them at this point and ask to keep the store card, because they could well report the Visa as closed to the credit bureaus. They have done some quirky things and you just never know.

Message 16 of 22
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:

Usually the store card is slated for closure within their system once the Visa upgrade has been issued. This is what I was told when they upgraded my AEO card from 2014 to AEO Visa.

The store card being slated for closure in their system is not normally dependent upon activating your other card; as they told me, it's already slated for closure within the system due to the issuance of the Visa version - not the activation of it.

My concern (especially with the way Synchrony has been acting lately) is that it is NOT a good a idea to receive a card from them and let it sit around with activating it. You could end up with a few scenarios if you do that - system could auto close store card after two or three months due to issuance of Visa version, then Synch could close Visa version down after a few months of being out there but not activated.

They could also then report the Visa as being closed on your credit report, which you don't want. Worse yet would be having both show up a closed on your credit report, which could happen with an auto closure and a lack of activation closure occurring in tandem.

Keep in mind that Synch could assure you all day long this will not happen; but the system could indeed do either of the above and it wouldn't be able to be reopened if it happened.

I'd just proceed along the path of store card closure and Visa activation. Have them re-send the Visa to you if it's lost.

I wouldn't call them at this point and ask to keep the store card, because they could well report the Visa as closed to the credit bureaus. They have done some quirky things and you just never know.

thanks for the thorough explanation! I think you covered all the points except the one I'm most interested in: I would like to keep the store card. It's one of my oldest accounts, and honestly, I don't see myself using the "visa" part of the new card much - have better cards for that. plus, don't want another new card in the CR. What's the best way to proceed for that?

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@go_FICO_self wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:

They could also then report the Visa as being closed on your credit report, which you don't want. Worse yet would be having both show up a closed on your credit report, which could happen with an auto closure and a lack of activation closure occurring in tandem.

thanks for the thorough explanation! I think you covered all the points except the one I'm most interested in: I would like to keep the store card. It's one of my oldest accounts, and honestly, I don't see myself using the "visa" part of the new card much - have better cards for that. plus, don't want another new card in the CR. What's the best way to proceed for that?

It sounds as if they've already issued a Visa, and in that case there is not an option to keep the store card.

My concern at this point is that say, for example, you call up a CS Rep (most of whom are notorious for not knowing anything). She assures you that you can keep the store card and that they will cancel the Visa. In that instance, she may or may not be correct about what the system will do or is already slated to do due to the issuance of that new card. That part has already happened and is in the system.

You can't really a change a process very easily nor well that has already happened, and you're already going along that path. If you try to change things midstream you may end up with one or more of the undesirable results I mentioned above. (especially with a lender like Synchrony).

It's one of your oldest cards, you mention - how old, 2-3 years? That small of a time frame will not make a substantive difference overall, by the way, and it will stay on your reports for ten years.

Message 18 of 22
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

Thanks again! I really want to keep the store card. It's 14 yrs old and it I'm grandfathered luxe etc. so visa will make a new dent in the aaoa and i think I'll lose luxe status. what is the best way to proceed to make sure I keep it? Talk to supervisor?
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I understand even if the CC was issued, if you don't activate it, it doesn't remove or cancel your store card. There will be a notice in the envelope with the newly issued card. It has some terms on it. I was looking for one of my most recent ones to see what it said. Definitely call them let them be made aware that you prefer not to take the new card because it would affect your time reported on the card (which it will) you'll still keep the history of the old one for at least 10 more years but the new one if activated will report immediately. I think I got the alerts of the closed and new account within 2 days of activation.

Good Luck I know how you feel on the older benefits. 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.