cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Bank CLD on two cards.. AA or just due to inactivity?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Synchrony Bank CLD on two cards.. AA or just due to inactivity?

I like that wallet as well... I think I may have found it:

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/smallleathergoods/PRDOVR~E6150/E6150.jsp

Edit:  I wasn't fast enough!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a certain amount of conjecture, but...

I'm sure that a bank has only a certain amount of total credit that it can offer (I mean total, across all of their card holders). They probably have a formula based on their total assets, and there's a number that they can't exceed. If that's true, then when one card holder gets a credit limit increase, then someone else needs to get a decrease.

Okay, that's probably an oversimplification. But it only makes sense that they want to achieve a certain level of credit utilization (on their end). If they only have so much to offer, they want that to be working for them, not just padding someone's FICO score.

So when they need to free up a few million dollars to open some new accounts or offer some credit limit increases, they look to see who's not using theirs. Then BOOM, you all go down to $1024.

Anyway, that's my educated guess... that it's really more about the bank's profits than it is about how they perceive your credit-worthiness.

In other words, it's not really your fault. It's more, "If you're not going to use it, we'll find someone who will."

+1

I've actually brought this up on other threads before as well.  Folks tend to think of the banks as an 'unlimited' source of credit, but they do have to keep reserves on hand for the credit they extend.  So, while they are able to extend tremendous amounts of credit across all accounts (collectively), there definitely is a limit. 

It makes sense that when they need to rearrange things a bit, the first ones to be impacted will be folks with really large credit lines that aren't utilized.  I have a feeling that once a need is demonstrated, they would likely restore the credit line, or at least raise it to a usable limit.

Just my 2¢.

Message 22 of 25
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

If you haven't used your cc's for over a year they will CLD...You can call and ask to have it increased to original cl
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive been off this board for the most part for a couple of months and because of that I realized that having so many cards makes no sense, caused me to spend more money than I needed to in order to keep cards active and caused headache. I feel so much better having reduced the amount of cards I have now that I recommend it to everyone. Who needs 20k on a store card? Just sayin not too many people!

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They dropped them to 1K. 1024. Get it?

I'll show myself out..............

Geek!

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.