Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Credit Fraud

tag
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Synchrony Credit Fraud

I was able to look at the letter today:

The purchase in question was made with an online retailer using the enhanced security features of MasterCard SecureCode. SecureCode is an additional form of verification for online purchases that protects your MasterCard against unauthorized use.This transaction required your account number and your personal SecureCode pin number to be entered correctly for the transaction to proceed. For more information on SecureCode please visit www.mastercardsecurecode.com. This option to use your account at online retailers is provided to allow more purchasing options and greater benefits from your account.

I told him he may want to check in with the State Attorney General to see if they can help sort out the issue.

Message 21 of 25
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

File a complaint with the CFPB?. Also tell him to file a police report, they can take it over the phone like they did with me when someone stole my package.
Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

All the crazy stories I've seen here, is it possible that a family member/relative had access to the info? If he goes to the police and it turns out that it was a family member by the investigation, will the person want to press charges against a relative? It seems like there are a lot of hoops to go through to get that order to processed with that online retailer. Is a family member/relative completly out of the question?
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did the person get his SecureCode?

It looks as if it is a number you sign up for an create yourself, like a PIN? (At least that is what I got from reading MasterCard's site)

Message 24 of 25
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Good news update:

I encouraged my family member to further pursue this issue as I was still pissed he ended up with the fraudulent charge. He re-contacted the merchant who processed the order and they refunded money to his card. I am not exactly sure how the conversation went, but he may have mentioned his next step was to contact the Attorney General for his state. And, that was my suggestion to him, contact the AG in his state and inquire about his case as a senior citizen.

I think as soon as Sam's pays his annual bonus cash back bonus, that will be the last they see of him.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.