Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Credit Fraud

tag
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Synchrony Credit Fraud

@Anonymous wrote:
Synch is a mess they will make security codes easy to hack for instance 123, 468, 789. Mine is a strange sequence counting by 2's it's easy for me to remember but also easy for someone to hack.. Synch also mails your statment with the full account number on it.

Ugh I hate when companies do that, Chase and BofA do as well. That is one reason all my cards are e-statement only.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 11 of 25
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Synchrony was sending me like 15 4506-TEZ forums with my full SSN!!! And my address, now that infuriated me
Message 12 of 25
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:
Synchrony was sending me like 15 4506-TEZ forums with my full SSN!!! And my address, now that infuriated me

Wow that is scary.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 13 of 25
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I called just to give them a piece of my mind (and close my accounts) and they told me they had to send them for every account...
Message 14 of 25
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:
I called just to give them a piece of my mind (and close my accounts) and they told me they had to send them for every account...

Assuming that you had 15 cards?  Not sure why the hell they sent a 4506 when you called to close.  Not like you're going to provide income information to close an account.  That's just stupid.  Then again the monkeys at Synch do weird stuff all the time as seen around here.  I sign up for paperless everything just for this reason of sending out correspondence with vital info printed on them. I've got a CU account or two that for some odd reason mail out a statement if there's a balance change even with paperless setup on them.  All we can do is try to do a lilttle CYA like shredding things to avoid someone picking up on info through the trash.  

Message 15 of 25
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Not only do I shred things like this, I also burn it afterwards.
Message 16 of 25
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

No I had 6-7 and they didn't recieve a response in 2 weeks so they sent another batch... and I do the same! I have a fire pit in my back yard, so I just throw it in there and turn the gas on Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Not that difficult. Take picture of card. You have all numbers and name. Google name or Facebook to figure out city/zip. Most websites only check zip for card and not address. So billing address could be a McDonald's in that zip. Shipping address anything and if you put it as a gift they might overlook it even more.

I don't think that in this situation the cardholder is liable. If he really didn't do it(or any family member etc) than file police report and report back to Syncrony. There might be more to the story. Fraud can happen in many different ways including online with the card number and zip. Might look legit for the bank because technically everything checks out.

I agree... from all the advertisements we see telling us about the safety of using a credit card (usually with even the $50 maximum liability waived) I'm also tempted to believe the cardholder isn't liable in this case, but it might require some legwork/paperwork.

Hopefully @RobertEG will come across this thread and be able to share some wisdom with us... he's really good with the specifics of the law in matters like this.  

Message 18 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Worse thing about Sams club credit is the minimum for alert is like $300. Really?. On recent thread i braught up a classic Synch fraud case with poster having like 16,000 fraud on his 25k Marvel. Sync is Monkee See, Monkey Do PalaceSmiley Happy
Message 19 of 25
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Sync did not replace the card until the next month when the card was hit again. It gets me because this extended family member is retired and keeps great records. At this point they bullied him into paying the $400 charge with the sending of the letter. Even he knows that trying to get a lawyer involved at this point will at the very best be a wash on $400.

He is in the process of throwing Synchrony and Sam's club to the curb and will be a Costco shopper for life because of this incident. Me, I would take the loss and fight this thing but I respect his action.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.