Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Identity Verification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony Identity Verification

I have three cards with Synchrony, all of which were opened in the last three months. I opened two in store and one online. The online application set the tone for my current relationship with the Amazon Prime Store card. Initially, they couldn't verify my phone number (I switched carriers 2 months ago and they have an old number), so they told me to wait for card in the mail, then register it once I received it. I did. I received a verification text on my new number and successfully registered the card. I just called in to increase credit line and was told I could not because they still have old number on file. What gives? How do I update this information? Why did they send a text for verification when I registered, but cannot send a text on the same number now? I am confused. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Synchrony Identity Verification

@Anonymous wrote:

I have three cards with Synchrony, all of which were opened in the last three months. I opened two in store and one online. The online application set the tone for my current relationship with the Amazon Prime Store card. Initially, they couldn't verify my phone number (I switched carriers 2 months ago and they have an old number), so they told me to wait for card in the mail, then register it once I received it. I did. I received a verification text on my new number and successfully registered the card. I just called in to increase credit line and was told I could not because they still have old number on file. What gives? How do I update this information? Why did they send a text for verification when I registered, but cannot send a text on the same number now? I am confused. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is happening to me as we speak with the Synchrony Marvel card.  They gave me two choices of numbers for them to text to when I applied online.  Both the numbers were my old numbers.  I no longer have them.  I had to call them and spoke to a rep who verfifed info and said everything is ok and the cards would be sent out.  Today I get a letter saying they wanted to make sure there were no fraudulent charges on the card and I needed to call them so I did.  I told the rep it should be no charges because I don't have the cards, they have not been received. (The letter I received today was dated the same date I applied online even though I spoke to a representative).    The rep today said wait until I receive the cards and then call them back and they  will straighten it out.  Sounds like it will be some vicious circling involved with them using old numbers.  I know they have caller ID so they see the number I am calling them from is the number on my application.  If I have to go through a bunh of c _ _ p  with this they can keep it.  I just love the Captain America card but I can do without any CC related drama. I am so over CC drama from any company. We will wait and see. 

Good luck with your issue with them.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is happening to me as we speak with the Synchrony Marvel card.  They gave me two choices of numbers for them to text to when I applied online.  Both the numbers were my old numbers.  I no longer have them.  I had to call them and spoke to a rep who verfifed info and said everything is ok and the cards would be sent out.  Today I get a letter saying they wanted to make sure there were no fraudulent charges on the card and I needed to call them so I did.  I told the rep it should be no charges because I don't have the cards, they have not been received. (The letter I received today was dated the same date I applied online even though I spoke to a representative).    The rep today said wait until I receive the cards and then call them back and they  will straighten it out.  Sounds like it will be some vicious circling involved with them using old numbers.  I know they have caller ID so they see the number I am calling them from is the number on my application.  If I have to go through a bunh of c _ _ p  with this they can keep it.  I just love the Captain America card but I can do without any CC related drama. I am so over CC drama from any company. We will wait and see. 

Good luck with your issue with them.

UPDATE- The Marvel Captain America cards came today.   I called the fraud department back to let them know I received them.  They put me on hold a few minutes and cam back and aske for the code on the back of the card, a few questions and said your cards are now activated and ready to go. I have not tried to sign up onoine yet maybe tommorrow.

Message 3 of 14
glamchick
Established Contributor

Yes the same happened to me.  I called to request a CLI on my new card and they said they couldnt verify me and I tried 2 cell numbers.  They send me a letter stating they couldnt give me the CLI cause they couldnt verify my cell numbers.  When I applied for the card my old home numbers came up but I put it in the most current numbers.

I don't know why they cant send me text?

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

For their savings account same thing. They gave me a choice:

1. (xxx) xxx-x750

2. (xxx) xxx-x134

3. (xxx) xxx-x750

Now, do I pick 1 or 3. None worked. Locked out. Called in to verify, said they cannot verify me, they have to call the number list on report. Tried 4 3 days to get it to workd Nada. Closed account. Then got 3 seperate mailings of the same letter to sign even though account closed. Tried to open one more time, then realized I have Ooma and the phone blocker thing so their number was being blocked.

Funny thing is, they did not have a cell for me so I could not get a text. I could not add my cell without verification.

Most trouble I have ever had opening an account and the reps were completely useless or helpss, not sure which....

Glad it was only a Savaings account

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

i don't have synchrony cards so im not familiar with their methods but where are they coming up with these phone numbers? old public records? credit report infos? i keep seeing this type of verification problems here lately and it seems it's solely with synchrony.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

They "cannot disclose where they get their information". So, there is no way to update your phone number. Their business analysts have are ridiculous.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

i see. thanks! i guess this is their MAIN way of verifying. tsk! i don't see these much fuss about phone numbers with other big lenders.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i see. thanks! i guess this is their MAIN way of verifying. tsk! i don't see these much fuss about phone numbers with other big lenders.

You are so right.  People change their phone numbers as often as chaning their undies, I know I do.  Whoever has the best phone and deal at the time I get it as I don't use anything but a cell phone.  There are other ways to identify a person and they can use the current phone number the person listed along with some other means of ID and residence.  Those numbers they displayed for me are over 15 years old.  They are lucky I even recognized them even though they were useless for current verification. I would think they would want the most current phone number anyway.  Oh well, here again it's their money so the ball in their court.

As a side note I think at lot of times it depends on the rep/analyst that you get. I found some are very helpful and will listen to what you are telling them and use that information and whatever else they have to go on and get you set up.  Others don't budge and could care less what you say.  If what phone info they have for the last two decades won't work they will not verify you with your new info.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same happened a few of my moms accounts with both her email and phone number. I sat while they sent the email and seen it come through and they said they showing it being blocked by the ISP on her Amazon card, American Eagle and one other sync card. Had her just change the email address to another she has, that still didn't stop it, hopped on chat, they confirmed it was a glitch and said they were "escalating" then next was the phone number, they wanted to know if it was a home phone or cell, told them it's a home line but rings through to the cell so text do come through, the said good, we'll mark it as a cell phone (???) they do too much in my opinion for security and end up creating nightmares.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.