Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony and Comenity

tag
mystikal1
Established Contributor

Synchrony and Comenity

Just a thought or two. We all know that Synchrony and Comenity are starting to close accounts on people, but just like the fiasco of the Arkansas bank earlier, is it possible that we are the ones to blame? I have had an unbelievable app spree and got to thinking, well lets see I opened several accounts 10 or so in the last 2 months, 4 comenity and 2 syncs, if I have them closed or frozen so be it. I will move on, but think about how many get these cards with small limits and instantly call for huge CLI's. Open a lowes, approved for under 1k call and get 10k, do SCT approved for 250 hit CLI buttons (JCrew comes to mind) to get 4k and keep hitiing it until its over 10k. I belive that CLI are a good thing but I wonder how many did CLI and burned Sync and Commenity, the underwriters got slapped on the wrist (just like the mortgage industry) and now we have to pay the price of being scrutinized as being HIGH RISK. I realize this is long winded but I have been thinking about it alot and am wondering if anyone else feels the same.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sync and Comenity

Nothing ever happens in a vacuum.  It's always a combination of a number of factors. What I do see is that less stable lenders who are having their own severe financial problems (i.e., Synchrony and Comenity) and have some level of disorganization as well, seem more likely to implement policies in which they approve someone one minute and shut them down the next.

There really is no other explanation for Comenity canceling people's cards and then issuing them the same exact card three weeks later.

Or for Synchrony issuing several cards to someone in a two-day period, only to shut them down a week later. The lender should have internal controls to prevent such situations.

The same is true for large CLI's. If Sycnhrony does not want someone to get a large CLI on multiple cards, the internal system controls should prevent that. Instead, the system allows a large CLI and the consumer gets shut down for something that the company allowed.

Internal disorganization and two different departments that are not communicating (department that issues cards and department that takes them away) are poor business practice. While the consumer may be engaging in behavior that attracts the lender's attention, it makes the lender look unprofessional and disorganized to conduct some of the actions they do as well, in addition to the manner in which it is handled.

I've never had a problem with either lender but I don't think well of them because of their high interest rates, poor customer practices that go well beyond AA of some people, inconsistency in business practice, and the way they have handled some long time customers who simply get caught up in an algorithm.

An example - I recall two people in the Comenity snafu last fall who each had ONE Comenity card. It was closed down in both situations without warning. Those two people had only two or three inquiries in the past year and no negatives on report, but low AAoA.

Now I realize there is often more to the story than we are hearing or than people are telling us, but the fact remains that the way these lenders have gone about doing what they are doing is poor and unprofessional. And that's independent of the borrower.

Sharing customers' personal financial data with LexisNexis and blocking people out of their accounts is another example. Regardless of whether it happens to only a small number of borrowers, it's not the best business practice.

Again, there are always multiple factors on each side that contribute to the outcome. Do a number of borrowers engage in risky behavior that invites trouble? Certainly.

A consumer's profile may also change from the time of approval, and that is within the company's right to take action. I'm not referring to those completely understandable situations.

I just have a concern about a lender operating solely on an alogorithm alone. I understand that they are data-driven organizations and have little else to work with. Large financial institutions also do not always have the resources or manpower to have each situation manually reviewed.

What could ideally happen is that once an algorithm picks up people, those borrowers should be up for independent, manual review of the larger picture. We see that this does not happen much with lenders like Barclay - when the algorithm picks certain people up, they automatically get CLD's via the computer system - yet very often, when they call in to explain the situation and review it with a live human being, the credit limit with Barclay is restored. 

When we lose the human element, things have a tendency to get messed up.

I'm not a financial analyst nor a bank expert and I don't know all the answers nor solutions to these situations. I only know what I see - and that is that Synchrony and Comenity have shown poor business practices independent of the things some of their borrowers are doing.

We can and should be aware regarding the impact that our own behavior has on lending decisions; however, being aware of certain lending institutions and their proclivities is helpful too.

Message 2 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Sync and Commenity

Yes I believe that 90% of the people who are getting shut down are the caused  the issue. If you go on App sprees, focus the majority of the card on only a few lenders. Have high INQ's, Short credit history.  There are some people getting closed down because of bank errors or other random events but If you App'd for 3+ cards from the same lender before you sent in your first payment, If your INQ's count doubles in a week, Miss a payment, don't be surprised if you get shutdown. 

If you had a new friend that asked to borrow $100 next week, then you heard he asked to do the same from 5 other people would you still lend him the money? I would. 

Yes i have more than a few SCT (Shopping Cart Trick) cards, they started small and grew them over time to there max CL, which for the cards I have, is around $3k each. But I aquired them at least 3 months apart. 

Yes I have more than a few Syncrony cards, I have requested numerous CLI's and now they all  have 5k plus limits with the majority of them have a 10k limit. Again these were all aquired slowly over time. 

App sprees are fun, i will grant you that, the excitement of seeing Approved, and on the first couple cards the number shown on the screen may suprise you SL's higher than your highest current SL, $5k and higher limits, but  soon you start to see SL's that shock you, $500, $200  if you get one of those its time to stop. The lesson is to plan your spree with limits that keep the SL's nice and large and stop before you ever see the $500 and have to worry did I go to far, am I going to be shut down next week, next month?   

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 11
mystikal1
Established Contributor

Re: Sync and Commenity

I apologize if I offended anyone in my original post.

Message 4 of 11
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Synchrony and Comenity

It's a two way street. The people around here don't equal the average synchrony or Comenity cardholder. The average cardholder gets a SL and is content until they are granted an auto CLI. Here, people app for several cards and ask for $25k CL's on lowes cards. Now the average person has no need for that much on a store card and probably has no business asking for that much when a $5k CL is more than enough probably.

I sometimes think people get carried away asking for the moon and fretting if they left money on the table if they didn't ask for the max, first off it's credit not money, you left nothing on the table. There's no way to justify a half dozen Comenity cards or synch cards, no matter which ones they are, at some point you cannibalize your own cards and have too much exposure with one lender.

On the other side of the street, theses particular lenders should practice a little more responsibility and stop giving out cards like candy with ridiculous CLI's. But hey it's their business and they are trying to make money, hopefully they don't get burned as we've seen so many lending trends come and go over the last ten years. While they bare some responsibility, so do we as borrowing adults. We all make our bed and eventually have to sleep in it whether lender or borrower. Educate yourself, do your research, diversify and make the best choices you possibly can and everything should work out fine.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

waiiiiiiitttt - what Arkansas bank FIASCO ??????  I just saw threads with tons of approvals days ago ... am i missing something here ???

Message 6 of 11
creditguy
Valued Contributor

They did a BBVA and shut down apps online, you have to go into a branch now. And they appear to have canceled some approvals
Message 7 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

It's a two way street. The people around here don't equal the average synchrony or Comenity cardholder. The average cardholder gets a SL and is content until they are granted an auto CLI. Here, people app for several cards and ask for $25k CL's on lowes cards. Now the average person has no need for that much on a store card and probably has no business asking for that much when a $5k CL is more than enough probably.

I sometimes think people get carried away asking for the moon and fretting if they left money on the table if they didn't ask for the max, first off it's credit not money, you left nothing on the table. There's no way to justify a half dozen Comenity cards or synch cards, no matter which ones they are, at some point you cannibalize your own cards and have too much exposure with one lender.

On the other side of the street, theses particular lenders should practice a little more responsibility and stop giving out cards like candy with ridiculous CLI's. But hey it's their business and they are trying to make money, hopefully they don't get burned as we've seen so many lending trends come and go over the last ten years. While they bare some responsibility, so do we as borrowing adults. We all make our bed and eventually have to sleep in it whether lender or borrower. Educate yourself, do your research, diversify and make the best choices you possibly can and everything should work out fine.

I totally agree.

While Synch and Comenity are to blame partially for issuing the cards to begin with in short succession, ultimately, as an adult, you have to take personal responsibility and not go overboard. You don't need 20 different store cards to pad your utilization. People read things about utilization and get carried away.

Don't get too many cards from one lender, but also don't make yourself think you need 20 different lenders. People tend to think they need much more credit than what they realistically do. It's good to have a little extra, but it's not necessary to go crazy.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditguy where are you seieng this ???  I cant find a single thread ... especially about canceled approvsls??

Message 9 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

I totally agree.

While Synch and Comenity are to blame partially for issuing the cards to begin with in short succession, ultimately, as an adult, you have to take personal responsibility and not go overboard. You don't need 20 different store cards to pad your utilization. People read things about utilization and get carried away.

Don't get too many cards from one lender, but also don't make yourself think you need 20 different lenders. People tend to think they need much more credit than what they realistically do. It's good to have a little extra, but it's not necessary to go crazy.

+1 to creditguy and kdm.  I agree with you both wholeheartedly.  I'll also add that while I know we're all adults, this forum, while offering a wealth of information, can also encourage the rationale behind high limits and constant opening of cards.  I'm guilty of giving and receiving such advice.  If ever you take a peek into the approval section of this forum, very rare, if ever, do you not see a person post that they've been approved by Sync for any product and someone not chime in within a few post saying call Credit Solutions and ask for an extremely high limit...let them counter you.  This advice comes from newbies as well as well seasoned folks around here who know how Sync and Comenity have been lately.  Needless to say I've learned my lesson the hard way and I've since quit taking or giving said advice. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.