Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony bank backdating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony bank backdating

Anyone ever have any luck with backdating a Synchrony branded card? I had a Paypal SmartConnect account opened in 2006 which was upgraded to a Mastercard in 2016. so I only show a year age on the MC. Was wondering if it is possible to backdate to the age of the 2006 opened account. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Synchrony bank backdating

No chance of this, its why I wont upgrade my Walmart with them its 6 yrs old.
Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If you opened the SmartConnect in 2006 and it was upgraded in 2006 shouldnt it been the same age? Did you mean upgraded in 2016?.
Message 3 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry dont know if i saw things differently or if you changed it but now i see the 2016, darn ear infectionSmiley Wink. Wow that stinks to have lost that 10 year open history but yeah, like Gdale6 said, no such luck with Synchrony.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i did have a typo at first and had 2006 for the upgrade date and edited it to 2016. even though i won't be able to backdate it, it will still show age until it drops off around 2026 right? and by then my newer accounts will show a good bit of age. am i right that closed in good standing accounts stay on reports for 10 years?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i did have a typo at first and had 2006 for the upgrade date and edited it to 2016. even though i won't be able to backdate it, it will still show age until it drops off around 2026 right? and by then my newer accounts will show a good bit of age. am i right that closed in good standing accounts stay on reports for 10 years?

Yes most will stay on for 10 years or longer although it's entirely up to the creditor how long they want to report the account to the CRAs.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

one thing that confuses me is when do they count the 10 years from. closing date, last payment date or last reported date? 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

one thing that confuses me is when do they count the 10 years from. closing date, last payment date or last reported date? 

No idea and I'm sure it varies from lender to lender.  There is no rule that requires a creditor to continue reporting after 10 years.  It's entirely up to them how long they will report just as its entirely up to them whether they ever report an account open or closed.  I have several accounts on my reports  that have been closed for 13+ years.  The 10 year thing is just standard practice not a steadfast rule, requirement or law.

Message 8 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Agree with Irish, i have things on my report that should be off by now but im not gonna complain as it helps my aaolSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Sychrony likes to call their replacement cards upgrades, even if it is an entirely new account reported to the bureaus.  It might be an upgrade, but it is also a replacement of another account, so they will even try to convince you when doing it that it is a benefit to you.  If you don't want a new account with a new starting date, then don't ever take an upgrade from them.  They will not backdate.  I think the only way to get them to change is for a lot of people to contact the CFPB and explain to them the misleading practice.  It is misleading, since they don't tell you this directly and if you call they might even tell you something which is not true.  (I have been told by many representatives that it won't have a new account starting date, that the information will replace the old card, and other incorrect things.  I have to push them to check and it always is the same answer, new account starting date.  It won't replace the old account on your report, it will add a new account with a new starting date.  

There might be something in the fine print which does tell you this or something else similar to this which they could claim means the same thing.  So unless a lot of people contacted the CFPB nothing will change.  And if some people recently put into power in DC get their way, then even the CFPB won't be able to do anything, as it might have it's days numbered.

Hope the new account doesn't cause any major issues.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.