Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony store to MC card

tag
smoop88
Regular Contributor

Synchrony store to MC card

I was wondering how does the synchrony bank store cards like sam, walmart, and american eagle go about converting your card to the visa or mc version? What is the normal TU score? is it a conversion or do you have to seperately apply for it? or do you have to wait for an offer?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Synchrony store to MC card

Can only speak for Walmart 

It's upgraded by the lender and you can't ask for it

FWIW I've turned down the upgrade twice 

It becomes a new TL and dings your AAoA 

Some don't care about this but for the rewards you get IMHO it's best to app another card more suited to your needs 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I app'd the Walmart store card back in November and got it. I just app'd again a few days ago and got approved for the MC. Both have 6K limits. I did the same for their Chevron/ Texaco. The upgrade offer is not very common that I am aware of. I plan to have the limits on the store cards dropped to $500 and then see if I can have the released amount moved to the MC/Visa versions. Then I will let the store cards age off until they get closed by the lender. That is the best option I can see for the store cards without hurting my AAoA too much. My TU score was 702 when I got approved for the WM MC, Chev/Tex VIsa, and Stash Visa. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 3 of 9
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I app'd the Walmart store card back in November and got it. I just app'd again a few days ago and got approved for the MC. Both have 6K limits. I did the same for their Chevron/ Texaco. The upgrade offer is not very common that I am aware of. I plan to have the limits on the store cards dropped to $500 and then see if I can have the released amount moved to the MC/Visa versions. Then I will let the store cards age off until they get closed by the lender. That is the best option I can see for the store cards without hurting my AAoA too much. My TU score was 702 when I got approved for the WM MC, Chev/Tex VIsa, and Stash Visa. 

Good luck getting your store card limits moved to their MC/Visa counterparts, it's been my understanding that synchrony doesn't move limits around. 

Message 4 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

Good luck getting your store card limits moved to their MC/Visa counterparts, it's been my understanding that synchrony doesn't move limits around. 

Correct not happening sorry to say 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 9
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

No, not moved. Reduce one and go for a CLI on the other. I would be risking losing some TCL. I have two accounts I had the luxury of trying this with. Here is the result. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Called-Synchrony-to-move-store-card-CL-to-a-MC-Visa-of-...

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been stated already, and it's correct, you need to be offered the upgrade, you can't make the request. And as far as I know you can't apply directly for the CC version, they'll approve you for it if you meet their mysterious criteria. But I was in the 680 range when my Walmart store was upgraded to the MC. But as mentioned, it will ding your credit and be marked as a new account, which is quite frustrating.. 

Message 7 of 9
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

One of my cards upgraded within the same year (TJX Rewards)....the others that have upgraded were at least two years old - at that point my TU score was 680+ with no baddies.  

My AE card upgraded a little after 18 months.

I have a couple cards that were approaching three years so I figured I'd missed the boat. I apped for the Visa outright on those (I'd read here that if you had the store cards, you'd have a better chance of getting approved for the Visa version by applying in-store) and was approved. (Gap and Banana Republic)

I also have a BP card but that one won't upgrade ever. Apped for the Visa version after having the store card for six months and was approved with 680's+ TU score.

I'm due for an upgrade on my Smart Connect account to PayPal Extras MC. A shocker there since I didn't think those were upgraded ever. Still waiting though....

The point being...there's no rhyme or reason, really.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 8 of 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I got the Sam's MC and a $2500 CL in March 2015... my last app.

At the time my only other Sync account was Care Credit.  TU score was around 670.

I've yet to get a CLI however.  I had a Ch 13 fall off last month and my scores went up.. and knowing Synchrony and their habit of SP CR's from 2 months ago, they probably don't have a new CR yet.

I'm still getting the same "Sorry, but we are unable to process a CLI for this account" when I request online.

Calling India Credit Solutions hasn't been any better.  Despite having never burned them and having prompt payment history on multiple accounts over the years they hate me for some reason.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.