Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony visa/mc

tag
smoop88
Regular Contributor

Synchrony visa/mc

I apologize if there is a thread on this. I know that if you have a store brand card with synchrony bank then you have to wait on them to upgrade it. Is this true? I once heard of someone keeping the store card and when their profile warranted a synchrony visa or mc they applied for it as if they were applying for the card again. Secondly, has anyone closed a synchrony card and applied again later time when their credit is stronger to get a visa/mc. Thanks everyone

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Synchrony visa/mc

Waiting is my preferred option, saves you a HP. I was upgraded from a regular Walmart card to their Discover (now it's a MasterCard). However, I've never been upgraded from their Paypal SmartConnect account to the Paypal Extras MasterCard. Also, when you accept an upgrade make sure you understand what they will do with your account age. In some cases your old one gets closed and you lose that age which changes your average age of accounts. 

If your credit has signicantly improved then you could potentially now be approved for the Visa/MC version if you were to apply again. With any card, make sure that it's benefiting you in some way. The Walmart MC and Paypals Extras MC are not all that great to me so I would have never gone out of my way to upgrade to them.

Message 2 of 4
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I had a 10K Sam's Store card that they refused to upgrade for years.  Finally said screw it and went and applied for the Disc/MC version and got an instant approval for $4400 and jumped to 10K w/o issue within months.  Kept both lines for utilization padding for awhile until they got bored with 22-23 months on the old store version and closed it.

Things might have changed but Synch doesn't often offer the upgrade option and refuse to do it by request w/o apping for the V/MC version.  There's been a coupel of posts lately of upgrades coming again but, if you truly want it then apply for it or apply for another lender V/MC if your profile will get you an approval.  Synch V/MC are 24.5% APR usually and the only perk is sometimes you get an financing offer.

Message 3 of 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I believe if you can get over 720 your chances greatly improve to be approved for the mc version thiugh nothing is gaurenteed. Like Austinguy said you can actually have both. Im learning it really is best to use Sync cards as pif because of apr. Normally if you fet upgrade they will vlose your old one and you get new account which to me stinks but thats their price.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.