Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THEY CLOSED MY CARE CREDIT ACCOUNT

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: THEY CLOSED MY CARE CREDIT ACCOUNT

@Anonymous wrote:

Same thing happened to me, just as I had made the appointment to have some expensive dental work. Unfortunately, the deal with RIte aid was not available when I lost my card. I was unable to get them to reinstate without a hardpull so I opted for the chase freedom that was offering 15 months of 0 interest and a lot more perks instead of going back to care credit. 

It's funny, the only real argument I had for keeping the card rather than closing it, was what if I have a veterinary emergency or a dental surgery emergency, and could really make use of the card?

Your story and OP's story show that the card wouldn't be good for emergencies, because you can't rely on it being there when you need it.

Seems strange for a company to issue a card which has so little reason for using it, and so little opportunity to use it, and then cancel it for 'inactivity'.

The  only way people could use it with any frequency is if they have a Rite Aid in the neighborhood, but Synchrony gives you no incentive to use the card at Rite Aid. Why use it at Rite Aid when there are so many other cards you could use there and get all kinds of miles, cash back, and other rewards? I used it at a Rite Aid a few weeks ago but my only reason for doing so was to keep the card active Smiley Happy

Well now that I've cancelled it, it's no longer active. Just glad that it was I that cancelled it on my own terms, rather than learning in the midst of an emergency that my emergency card isn't there.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this is why they did the pilot run of converting some to mastercards. Sorry to hear OP
Message 12 of 23
lindel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the replys. I had the card about 10 months. I was not aware that I could use the card at Riteaid. I guess it's not good for emergencies because you really can't depend on them keeping it open.
Fico Scores :03/12/2015 Equifax 565, Transunion 585, Experian 563
Current Fico Scores 12/15/2015 EQ 612, TU 645, EX 655
Kay Jewelers 4000/Barclays MC 1300/ Firestone1200/ Cap1 Quicksilver 2300/ NFCU nrewards secured 600/ Macys 600/ Walmart 3500/ Amazon 3500/ Cap 1 Journey 1050/ Kohls 300/ Banana Republic 3500/ Texaco 890/ BP 2000/ Jcrew 250/ Victoria Secrets 250/ Eddie Bauer 250/ Marisota 500/ SimplyBe 500/ Discount Tires 500/ Care Credit 1000/ American Eagle 150/ QVC 2000
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have care credit, and I use it once a year for vet check ups on my pets, if you do happen to get reinstated, you can do what I do, or you can maybe go get a dental or maybe an eye exam every 6 months or so to keep it active.

Message 14 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have care credit, and I use it once a year for vet check ups on my pets, if you do happen to get reinstated, you can do what I do, or you can maybe go get a dental or maybe an eye exam every 6 months or so to keep it active.

It seems like work to me, to have to keep thinking of ways to use a card so it doesn't get closed.

If Synchrony let inactive accounts alone, it would be a different story, but it doesn't.

Also I recently learned that when it's giving us an interest-free promo deal, they're charging the provider an exorbitant rate of interest.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 23
jonfive
Established Member

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

If anybody REALLY wants to keep this card open for "emergencies," what i like to do is

hit up my local Rite-Aid every 6 months and treat myself to a bottle of Jameson or something

along those lines.

Problem solved.

Good plan! I was wondering about keeping accounts open for non-activity. Plan to leave a few of my cards untouched somewhere. 

Anyone try using one of the cards for annual purchases? Amazon prime, VPN service, VPS, domains, Dedicated servers?

Wish i could buy booze in Rite-aid though..

State liquor stores only in PA... :/  

They just opened selling beer in grocery stores, up to a 6pack. Cases and up you still need to go to a dedicated distributor..

Synchrony Amazon: 1500 | Synchrony Mavis Tire: 1900 | Chase Amazon: 2200 | Citi Doublecash (1): 500 | Citi Doublecash (2): 1000 | BestBuy: 3000 | Credit One: 2900 (closing) | Capital One Platinum: 1800 | Amex Blue: 2500 | NFCU CashRewards: 5000 | NFCU CLOC: 6000 | Paypal Credit: 2000 | Ikea: 2200 | Wellsfargo Microcenter: 1900
Message 16 of 23
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I keep mine active by buying eyeglass wipe when I need them.
Message 17 of 23
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

Care Credit is known to close cards on the 13th month of no use. I have had 2 cards with them. Both cards I got thinking I could use them some place only to find once I got there they do not accept Care Credit even though Care Credits site said they do. From now on I will call and ask the place lol. Anyways both times I have had to reapply and have gotten approved for a new card.

Message 18 of 23
Gollum
Established Contributor

@lindel wrote:
Thanks for all the replys. I had the card about 10 months. I was not aware that I could use the card at Riteaid. I guess it's not good for emergencies because you really can't depend on them keeping it open.

CareCredit is not a credit card.

CareCredit pays your dentist/veterinarian/etc.  Then you owe the bill for those dentist/veterinarian/etc. services to CareCredit.

If you don't repay (to CareCredit) the full amount of the loan by the end of the loan's introductory period, interest at 26.99% is due on the full amount of the loan even if you made payments.

Here's a URL for the CareCredit "credit card" account agreement (.pdf file):

https://www.carecredit.com/YourTerms/April2016.pdf

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 19 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

There is a Care Credit mastercard version out there which is a credit card. Dont know if thats the future of this account but seems a better way for people to use more frequentlySmiley Happy
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.