cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TONS of inquiries and still getting approved!

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: TONS of inquiries and still getting approved!

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I remember having 20-30 inquiries on each report, most of which were inside one year, and never had any issues. There's one poster on here, whom I won't name, who had 40-50+ and never had any problems getting approved. IMHO, inquiry damage is overrated.

Is that just at the time of application or after the approval (Barclay comes to mindas being sneaky about post-approval inquiries Smiley Happy)?

I wondered the same thing, as I have not yet been denied for multiple approvals and I have 1 EQ, 11 EX (still working on a couple of those...duplicate that lender is removing), 6 TU...and that's with the marginal scores you see below.

Certainly there are some CCCs or other lenders that frown on inquiries and can deny you, or even close the account. I think it leans more on new TLs reporting than inquiries. A new TL can drop your score more than an inquiry in most cases. YMMV. And definitely don't take away that going app-crazy is a good thing. And some can be sensitive like Barclay. My post might be in here somewhere, but IIRC, I only had one inquiry on TU when Juniper (pre-Barclaycard) denied me in part to too many inquiries (other factors were listed too like baddies). But overall, most of my CCs weren't like that.

Message 11 of 26
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I remember having 20-30 inquiries on each report, most of which were inside one year, and never had any issues. There's one poster on here, whom I won't name, who had 40-50+ and never had any problems getting approved. IMHO, inquiry damage is overrated.

Is that just at the time of application or after the approval (Barclay comes to mindas being sneaky about post-approval inquiries Smiley Happy)?

I wondered the same thing, as I have not yet been denied for multiple approvals and I have 1 EQ, 11 EX (still working on a couple of those...duplicate that lender is removing), 6 TU...and that's with the marginal scores you see below.

Certainly there are some CCCs or other lenders that frown on inquiries and can deny you, or even close the account. I think it leans more on new TLs reporting than inquiries. A new TL can drop your score more than an inquiry in most cases. YMMV. And definitely don't take away that going app-crazy is a good thing. And some can be sensitive like Barclay. My post might be in here somewhere, but IIRC, I only had one inquiry on TU when Juniper (pre-Barclaycard) denied me in part to too many inquiries (other factors were listed too like baddies). But overall, most of my CCs weren't like that.

Egads...Barclay is the only prime-ish CC I have right now...I'd better wait until March to hit that Discover submit button!

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 12 of 26
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redwalker2929 wrote:

Thats correct!!! So getting your score straight from experian is about the best you can do!!!  Take care Smiley Happy

Unless AmEx sends you a Congratulation letter with your EX FICO like they sent me after I apped for the BCP, I have 3 other AmEx cards and they never sent me my EX FICO before Smiley Happy

I got my Zync and Platinum within the same week. I never got any EX score in any of the packages/letters from AMEX. Thought I was the only one.

Message 13 of 26
CS800
Super Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@redwalker2929 wrote:

Thats correct!!! So getting your score straight from experian is about the best you can do!!!  Take care Smiley Happy

I thought there was a credit union in PA or somewhere like that if you live in that state you can join and get your score....

PSECU currently only open to PA residents.

Message 14 of 26
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

What are some of the more stricter banks that will close or CLD your current lines due to too many inqs or new TLs?

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 15 of 26
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Meltdownblitz wrote:
What are some of the more stricter banks that will close or CLD your current lines due to too many inqs or new TLs?

Barclay is the one that comes to mind right out of the gate. You generally want them to be the last app/account before a gardening session because they are very sensitive to new inquiries/accounts after they approve an account.

Of course, this is all YMMV, as many others here have reported no difficulties with them whatsoever. I would err on the side of caution with them.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 26
CS800
Super Contributor

Crusader, you apped for any Barclays yet?

Message 17 of 26
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Yep...Barclay Apple...approved on recon for $1,300.

Don't you have Discover More? I thought I saw that in a recent thread. What can you tell me about them? Are they inquiry-sensitive, etc.?

Message 18 of 26
CS800
Super Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Don't you have Discover More? I thought I saw that in a recent thread. What can you tell me about them? Are they inquiry-sensitive, etc.?

Got a Discover more last month (its not even reporting yet on any of my reports)

When I applied for this card, I had no inqs on my EQ and they only pulled EQ and they use the new EQ FICO (FICO08).

I was given a number to call and thinking I'm gerttng declined, I called anyway and got approved. The CSR wanted to verify my information. But overall, it was painless and done within a few minutes.

Message 19 of 26
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Got a Discover more last month (its not even reporting yet on any of my reports)

When I applied for this card, I had no inqs on my EQ and they only pulled EQ and they use the new EQ FICO (FICO08).

I was given a number to call and thinking I'm gerttng declined, I called anyway and got approved. The CSR wanted to verify my information. But overall, it was painless and done within a few minutes.

Were you thinking of adding Barclay, or are they already in your wallet? Smiley Happy

Also, at what point will my credit score be sufficient for Discover? I'm closing in on 660+ on both EQ and TU and very badly want my foot in the door with Discover (EVERYONE here where I shop takes that card!)

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.