Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIPLE D's- Double Down on Discover?

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

TRIPLE D's- Double Down on Discover?

There are many members that have more than one card from any given bank. Such as Chase, freedom & CSP. Some collect Amex cards for the sport of it. Some have a number of Cap 1 cards. But I don't hear of too many members having more than one Discover card. I'm referring more specifically to having the Discover IT cashback AND the Discover Miles.

I'm really loving the Double cash back promo going on right now. I currently have the Discover IT, and Im on track to having right around $1,500 when my year is up. 

I'm wondering if you can get the Discover Miles once your year is up, and "Double Down" on that card as well? Has anyone tried this yet? Any input would be greatly appreciated.☺

DISCOVER ROCKS!!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TRIPLE D's- Double Down on Discover?

Yes you can once your IT turns 1 year old.

Message 2 of 29
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes you can once your IT turns 1 year old.

Correct

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 29
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I've heard of people doing this before too.

I was disappointed that as an existing cardmember instead of a new cardmember I missed the double cashback for a year promo. As I understand it they briefly did allow existing members to get in on the action too, but I didn't find out soon enough to do so before they stopped allowing that. If I'd have had any use for the Discover Miles card I would have gotten it, but I don't need/want it so I didn't.

In general I'd be happy to have another Discover card - I love Discover! However, their selection is pretty slim IMO. I'd be delighted if they came out with an all-purpose 2% cashback card like the Citi DC - I'd snap something like that up. However, I just have no use for the Miles and everything else just seems like a watered down It.

Message 4 of 29
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Really? That's great😀

I'm wondering why you don't hear too much chatter about it? I would think all the cashback  kings \queens would be all over the 3% cash back for a year promo. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 5 of 29
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

Yeah, I've heard of people doing this before too.

I was disappointed that as an existing cardmember instead of a new cardmember I missed the double cashback for a year promo. As I understand it they briefly did allow existing members to get in on the action too, but I didn't find out soon enough to do so before they stopped allowing that. If I'd have had any use for the Discover Miles card I would have gotten it, but I don't need/want it so I didn't.

In general I'd be happy to have another Discover card - I love Discover! However, their selection is pretty slim IMO. I'd be delighted if they came out with an all-purpose 2% cashback card like the Citi DC - I'd snap something like that up. However, I just have no use for the Miles and everything else just seems like a watered down It.

2% cash back would Rock! 

3% for a year is not too shabby though. 

Message 6 of 29
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

There are many members that have more than one card from any given bank. Such as Chase, freedom & CSP. Some collect Amex cards for the sport of it. Some have a number of Cap 1 cards. But I don't hear of too many members having more than one Discover card. I'm referring more specifically to having the Discover IT cashback AND the Discover Miles.

I'm really loving the Double cash back promo going on right now. I currently have the Discover IT, and Im on track to having right around $1,500 when my year is up. 

I'm wondering if you can get the Discover Miles once your year is up, and "Double Down" on that card as well? Has anyone tried this yet? Any input would be greatly appreciated.☺

DISCOVER ROCKS!!

Interesting thread title...

But yes, I have both the Discover IT and Discover IT Miles cards. I picked up my Discover IT (More) back in 2012, and the Discover IT Miles a few months ago. Clearly, I met the one year requirement, but I have read many posts of people being denied for not meeting that requirement prior to applying for another Discover card. I have the double cash back promo on both cards (loophole last year for existing Discover IT cardholders). 

Message 7 of 29
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

DISCOVER ROCKS!!

But yes, I have both the Discover IT and Discover IT Miles cards. I picked up my Discover IT (More) back in 2012, and the Discover IT Miles a few months ago. Clearly, I met the one year requirement, but I have read many posts of people being denied for not meeting that requirement prior to applying for another Discover card. I have the double cash back promo on both cards (loophole last year for existing Discover IT cardholders). 

I sure wish I had gotten in on that loophole! LOL, I started in 2012 with the More too.

Message 8 of 29
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

DISCOVER ROCKS!!

And after the news got out and the forum flooded them with calls to be added to their accounts 

Discover hurried up and shut that down and clarified for new card apps only.....Lol

But the damage was already done Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

No...the real damage is about to begin...everyone should start getting their cash back windfall pretty soon. I get mine I July...can't wait. 😊
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.