cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIPLE D's- Double Down on Discover?

tag
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

Re: TRIPLE D's- Double Down on Discover?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

Interesting thread title...

But yes, I have both the Discover IT and Discover IT Miles cards. I picked up my Discover IT (More) back in 2012, and the Discover IT Miles a few months ago. Clearly, I met the one year requirement, but I have read many posts of people being denied for not meeting that requirement prior to applying for another Discover card. I have the double cash back promo on both cards (loophole last year for existing Discover IT cardholders). 

Yes, I was one!  Told by two reps there was no "real" time limit like a year.   Applied, double pulled and then denied for being too soon.    (Not that I remember of course!)

I believe I remember reading an older post of yours regarding that experience.  That would have left a bad taste in my mouth.  Just curious.......is your Miles card in the SD indefinitely? No plans to close it anytime soon?  That's the problem I see with the Miles card.  After the first year, it pretty much becomes another 1.5% cash back card and there is no shortage of those these days.  Also, from what I remember, you have need to have two separate logins for a regular it card and it Miles card.  I know that's not the end of the world, but I would find that annoying.  Maybe (hopefully) they changed that by now and allow for a single login to access both accounts.

Message 21 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I plan to try to use it for a baggage fee and see if I get it back via the "Wifi" $30 a year as I did last time.   Otherwise, I will close it at some point (still in the first year with my wife's card, might close both after that)

Message 22 of 29
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

Really? That's great😀

I'm wondering why you don't hear too much chatter about it? I would think all the cashback  kings \queens would be all over the 3% cash back for a year promo. 

A number of us were excited.   At the beginning though, a  lot of people got denied, as it seemed to have quite a high approval threshold (don't know if that is true now).  But, to pre-empt KDM, except at high levels of spend, the difference between 2% and 3% is pretty small (and the big win for those that had it was the Apple Pay promo).  I did some MS on it, and got the bonus, now the card is S/D.

I still believe the IT Miles card has unreasonably high underwriting criteria. It took me 3 attempts to get approved for it, and they still gave me the highest interest rate when I did finally get it this past March with a 761 EQ. Similarly, I'll be SDing mine after the first year and only using it for the Wifi credit. Not surprisingly, purchasing Wifi was actually the only time I was really able to use Discover last week in Europe.

Message 23 of 29
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I plan to try to use it for a baggage fee and see if I get it back via the "Wifi" $30 a year as I did last time.   Otherwise, I will close it at some point (still in the first year with my wife's card, might close both after that)

Ah yes, I forgot about the $30 in-flight Wi-Fi credit.

Message 24 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Honestly, the requirement to have two log ins is a turn off for me. It's not that big of a deal, but it's ridiculous that it's that way in 2016.
Message 25 of 29
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Honestly, the requirement to have two log ins is a turn off for me. It's not that big of a deal, but it's ridiculous that it's that way in 2016.

I completely agree. It is ridiculous. I actually have 3 logins for Discover: IT, IT Miles, and for the checking account I opened with them for the $300.00 bonus last year. I'm sure Discover will love to hear separate logins as one of the reasons I close one or two of those accounts in the near future...

Message 26 of 29
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Really? That's great😀

I'm wondering why you don't hear too much chatter about it? I would think all the cashback  kings \queens would be all over the 3% cash back for a year promo. 

A number of us were excited.   At the beginning though, a  lot of people got denied, as it seemed to have quite a high approval threshold (don't know if that is true now).  But, to pre-empt KDM, except at high levels of spend, the difference between 2% and 3% is pretty small (and the big win for those that had it was the Apple Pay promo).  I did some MS on it, and got the bonus, now the card is S/D.

I still believe the IT Miles card has unreasonably high underwriting criteria. It took me 3 attempts to get approved for it, and they still gave me the highest interest rate when I did finally get it this past March with a 761 EQ. Similarly, I'll be SDing mine after the first year and only using it for the Wifi credit. Not surprisingly, purchasing Wifi was actually the only time I was really able to use Discover last week in Europe.

761 Equifax, and barely got approved? I guess I can kiss my Triple D's idea good bye! 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 27 of 29
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I completely agree. It is ridiculous. I actually have 3 logins for Discover: IT, IT Miles, and for the checking account I opened with them for the $300.00 bonus last year. I'm sure Discover will love to hear separate logins as one of the reasons I close one or two of those accounts in the near future...

What was the Discover $300 promotion? I was also contemplating opening up a Discover checking account to stay the cash back in until I get enough fur a trip were planning. Any chance they may bring that promo back?

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 28 of 29
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Really? That's great😀

761 Equifax, and barely got approved? I guess I can kiss my Triple D's idea good bye! 

I don't think Discover has been particularly amenable to my credit profile for years now. I have no negatives, but I do agree with the suspicions that Discover doesn't really like profiles with a lot of available credit and open accounts. So that is likely why my terms weren't great for my recent Discover IT Miles approval.

@Sharingan wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

What was the Discover $300 promotion? I was also contemplating opening up a Discover checking account to stay the cash back in until I get enough fur a trip were planning. Any chance they may bring that promo back?

Discover ran a checking account promotion late last year for current credit card customers. You received $300 (and a 1099 Smiley Frustrated) after fulfilling some conditions. I believe it was a few direct deposits for at least a certain amount. I'm not sure when or if they will run a similar promotion again.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.