Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU 50 point jump - Need Card advice!

tag
Charla
Established Member

TU 50 point jump - Need Card advice!

I just paid down a big balance on my Chase Freedom ($5,000 limit). Brought my utilization to about 19% and got a 50 point jump with TU. Yeah!!  I also have a Limited cc ($900) with $30 balance.

Here’s the problem. Due to a car breakdown & major appliance failure at home the balance I just paid down on Chase is almost back to the previous balance ($4,000). My credit scores are pretty good now, so I’m thinking this will be a good chance to apply for another card and transfer the balance before my statement cuts with Chase.

So, which cards can I apply to with these scores?

Also, should I apply for he CC after I apply for the preapproved car loan with my Credit Union?

EXPERIAN fake score: 741

TU: 758

Equifax: 700

Thanks for your help!!!! This board is the ONLY reason my scores have increased. For those of you just starting out, it is possible! Just look at my starting scores in my siggy! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 619 TU 651
Current Score: EQ 681 to 700! TU 704 to 758!!
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
blk8
Regular Contributor

Re: TU 50 point jump - Need Card advice!

I would have the credit union use the same pull for both the auto loan and a new credit card with them :-)

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 2 of 9
Charla
Established Member

Oh Wow, what a great idea! I can't believe I didn't consider that option. I just checked the Credit Union’s website and they have Visa cards available with the following rates:

GOLD CARD              LINE OF CREDIT    6.90%
CLASSIC CARD              LINE OF CREDIT    10.90%    
SECURED CARD              LINE OF CREDIT    7.90%

Do you think I can get a Gold card? They don’t list the balance transfer rates but it does say no transfer fees.

Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 9
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

Apply for discover card which comes with 15 month 0% apr. if you do not get good limit then call for recon.
CU is a good idea because of low apr. CU I checked pulled report for checking and credit card separately so check with the loan officer.
Citi also has a card with 18 month 0% apr.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 4 of 9
Charla
Established Member

I was considering a Discover card. However, about 13 years ago, while in college, my account with Discover was charged off. I paid them a settlement about a year later. I don't think it shows on my credit reports any more but would Discover have blacklisted me?  My name has changed (married) since then. 

What do you think?

I have never had a citi card.

Message 5 of 9
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

WIth Citicard the Diamond card and Simplicity have 18 month 0% apr.

Message 6 of 9
Charla
Established Member

Can you apply online for the citi cards? Is that th best way to apply or call in?  Does a preapproval for a car loan count as a soft pull? I'm wondering about how soon it will show up as an Inquiry. I was hoping to apply for the credit card within an hour after I get preapproved for the car loan.  I only have 1 Inquiry on my credit report from almost 2 years ago.

Message 7 of 9
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

It's always a YMMV sitiuation, but Discover forgave me my past bad acts.  Got IT in Feb.

Message 8 of 9
Charla
Established Member

Did you have to do anything special or was your app for Discover approved immediately?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.