Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU 760 declined by Amex???!??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU 760 declined by Amex???!??

Hi, 

I was debating whether i should get a Discover More or Amex Blue Cash as my second card (First card is Citi Divident Master Card) to increase credit score. I chose Amex because it is more widely accepted world wide since I travel a lot. Currently studying aboard in Europe. I guess I made a mistake, is Amex THAT hard to get approved????

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TU 760 declined by Amex???!??

I am currently a student...is discover card a better option for me? If it is, I guess I will apply a month later...please give me some suggestion! 
Message 2 of 30
cdtotten
Established Contributor

AMEX uses their own internal formula for determining credit worthiness. It's hard to say why you were turned down with a 760. Is that a FICO score you obtained from myfico.com or transunioncs.com ? Have you ever had an account in the past with them that went derogitory? Do you have a thin credit file?

That is also one of their reasonably more difficult cards to get started with. A lot of people app for the Delta gold card (pretty easy to get) and then PC over to blue cash.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 30
Cstl05
Contributor

sorry to hijack, but is it still possible to PC from a delta golf to blue cash?  I had called into Amex, and they said with a delta gold you can only upgrade to other delta cards..  Maybe there is a backdoor number that would be more efficient?  I also, got declined by Amex for the blue cash, but it's probably because I opened the  delta gold in nov 09.
Chase Sapphire Reserve/Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ritz Carlton/Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Cash/Discover IT/Capital One Quicksilver/Bank of America Cash Rewards/Citi Costco/Citi Double Cash/Barclay Apple Rewards
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cdtotten wrote:

AMEX uses their own internal formula for determining credit worthiness. It's hard to say why you were turned down with a 760. Is that a FICO score you obtained from myfico.com or transunioncs.com ? Have you ever had an account in the past with them that went derogitory? Do you have a thin credit file?

That is also one of their reasonably more difficult cards to get started with. A lot of people app for the Delta gold card (pretty easy to get) and then PC over to blue cash.

I used Truecredit from Transunion...Ive never had a Amex card that's why I tried to get it. My credit line is about $3000 with citi master.  I guess I should go for student card from now since I don't have income. 

Message 5 of 30
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Do you mind if I ask:  How do you pay your bills (credit card bills, for example) if you don't have an income?  Does it come from parents?  Could you have an authorized user card on their accounts, if this is the case? 
Not applicable

@ChesterPDexter wrote:
Do you mind if I ask:  How do you pay your bills (credit card bills, for example) if you don't have an income?  Does it come from parents?  Could you have an authorized user card on their accounts, if this is the case? 
Yes, income source comes from my parents. Never had an authorized card from anyone else.  

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO, Discover Student is a better option in your situation.  AMEX looks at income, and uses its own credit criteria....

Message Edited by txjohn on 02-02-2010 12:12 PM
Message 8 of 30
Cstl05
Contributor

Lets say you are a student, and your cards are payd off by parents, is it okay for one to put their "annual income" as their parents?  OR will CCC's see past this?
Chase Sapphire Reserve/Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ritz Carlton/Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Cash/Discover IT/Capital One Quicksilver/Bank of America Cash Rewards/Citi Costco/Citi Double Cash/Barclay Apple Rewards
Message 9 of 30
cdtotten
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@cdtotten wrote:

I used Truecredit from Transunion...Ive never had a Amex card that's why I tried to get it. My credit line is about $3000 with citi master.  I guess I should go for student card from now since I don't have income. 

That is your big proble. The score provided from Truecredit is not a FICO score, it is a FAKO score. It in no way relates to your true FICO. You need to pull your actual FICO score from either here, or transunioncs.com (notice the cs). Your true FICO score could be a 600 and would explain why you got declined. Without income, you shouldn't app for an AMEX card, as you won't be accepted.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.