Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TY points?

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

TY points?

I noticed something and that's no one seems to talk about TY points or the TY preferred card. Are they points just not really worth it? What can you use them for?
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: TY points?

People do talk about them on the Prestige or Premier card, where they can be transferred to partners.    The Preferred isn't very useful, as it is a 2% somewhere card (as compared to 2% anywhere) and without transfer capabilities, generally TYP are worth less than 1c per point.

Message 2 of 6
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

People do talk about them on the Prestige or Premier card, where they can be transferred to partners.    The Preferred isn't very useful, as it is a 2% somewhere card (as compared to 2% anywhere) and without transfer capabilities, generally TYP are worth less than 1c per point.

Citi's web site implies 1 pt = 1 ct when redeemed for gift cards. And the preferred is offering 30,000 points when you spend $2000 over first 4 months, with no annual fee.

So if you're interested in a sign up bonus, its not bad. For long term cash back potential, there are better choices.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Citi's web site implies 1 pt = 1 ct when redeemed for gift cards. And the preferred is offering 30,000 points when you spend $2000 over first 4 months, with no annual fee.

So if you're interested in a sign up bonus, its not bad. For long term cash back potential, there are better choices.

Yes, depends on the card but it might be 1:1 on all gift cards.  With the forward, only $100 cards are 1:1.    But, I tend to discount giftcard redeptions because

a) using them loses the cc reward you would get on the purchase

b) you can generally get gift cards quite a bit cheaper anyway.

And yes, the sign up is OK, but unlike some other cards, I think it has no real value after that.

Message 4 of 6
Open123
Super Contributor

TY points are ok when transferred or used for mortgage/student loan rebate checks.

Any other use of the points are extremely underwhelming.  From my perpective, aside from the Prestige, I've never found a reason to use either the Premier or Preferred beyond the lump-sum bonus.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have the Premier version, it is worth signing up for the Preferred for the bonus. You can pool the points, so essentially double the value (at least) that you can extract. For example, those 30k points from the preferred bonus can be a round trip to hawaii when transferred to flying blue. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.