Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tactics for lowering APR?

tag
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

Tactics for lowering APR?

Hi,

I was wondering if  someone could help me or if there is a guideline here on how to deal with the CC companies when requesting APR reductions?

I have 5 CC ranging from 17.99 to 29.99%, all with $0.00 balance, that I got when my FICO's where in the 600's, now that I'm on the 700's, I want to try and see what I can do. I don't use or plan to carry balances on them, just want to check what I can do to get them to lower the APR's.

Thanks for any help, links etc!

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tactics for lowering APR?

Before you do anything you must first see what exactly the credit card interest rates are that are offered for the cards you have.

Some products simply may not go below the rates you want.

From there you can figure if you may need to open other cards/cancel some to get the rates you want.

Granted if you are not planning on carrying balances the interest rate does not matter.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi larinoriani! Welcome to the myFICO forums! Smiley Happy

Seeking an APR adjustment while you're not revolving debt is a good idea! Giving more information about the credit products that you want to seek a lower APR for would definitely help our members to give your viable suggestions!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSQzt9qv8bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38HXemMf3oY

Hi mordaane.

You might be wondering how your post went from the first reply to the third and where it's been for almost 12 hours. I was trying to move some things around this morning and unfortunately your post was the target of my efforts and I worked and worked on my own to get it back here but it took the kind help of LilMirth to get your post back here.

I apologize for all of that.

-marinevietvet, myFICO moderator

Message 2 of 5
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

Thanks fo ryour answers! Here is a snapshot of what I have:

DESCRIPTIONINTEREST RATELIMITBALANCE
CITI Diamond*08,7000
Macys24.51,20095
Lowes Project**17.993,0002,500
DELL27.244,50080
SEARS25.243,1000
CHASE25.241,8000
1st Bankof Omaha**19.993,500850

*14.99% APR after 1/1/2012

**Please note that the balances of Lowes Project card and First Bank of Omaha will be transfered to a recently acquired Citi Diamond Preferred, on which I have 0% APR until 1/1/2012, with a plan to pay them off by then.

I wouldn't want to close any of the accounts due to the credit utilization % and aging but at the same time I'm not planing on keeping any balances on ANY card, maybe just like Macys or Dell move them around $100-$200 so there's some credit activity.

As of 10/21/2010 my credit score were:

FICO EQ  737

FICO TU   742

Fako  EX  750

Thanks for any input!!

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.