Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take advantage of today's HP?

tag
MuadDibx
Established Member

Take advantage of today's HP?

Today I was approved for the Chase CS(R).  I've read in multiple places that if you have two HPs in the same day (by the same bank?) they will count as one.

I'm wondering if I should apply for the FU or some other card.  My goal is to earn enough miles/points to pay for a trip to Korea next year with my wife, MIL, and newborn son.  So any advice with this in mind would be helpful.

Only a couple of hours left.  Smiley Wink

Edit: I should mention that the CS(R) put me @ 5/24

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Take advantage of today's HP?

It often does happen they they are combined but it isn't guaranteed. The more time that passes between the inquiries, the less chance of combining.

So if you're going to do it, do it soon.

Message 2 of 9
Xistaben2
New Contributor

Post back if you do it - I am in the same boat and will probably do the same thing (get the FU) to complete my trifecta.

Message 3 of 9
MuadDibx
Established Member

Did it, probably shouldn't have.  Went to pending and recon seems to have closed.  Grrr....

Message 4 of 9
Xistaben2
New Contributor

Man... that is a tough call then...  If I don't do it now or soon, my EDP reporting and the CSR reporting will put me right at 5/24 until around March time.  Isn't the end of the world, but still a bit to wait.

I might just wait - Also have to consider if I am going to spook Barclays into AA with these 2 new accounts or not.

Message 5 of 9
MuadDibx
Established Member

So I called recon...needed verification just like the CS(R) did.  Approved for $23k.  I think that puts me at 6/24 though?  Or maybe I'm counting wrong?

Also puts my credit line with Chase @ $70.5k.  WOW...so far from the guy with a low 500s score a few years ago!

Message 6 of 9
Xistaben2
New Contributor

@MuadDibx wrote:

So I called recon...needed verification just like the CS(R) did.  Approved for $23k.  I think that puts me at 6/24 though?  Or maybe I'm counting wrong?

@Also puts my credit line with Chase @ $70.5k.  WOW...so far from the guy with a low 500s score a few years ago!

Nice, congrats!  Still thinking about waiting on the FU until (ironically enough) early next year when my Freedom card is older than 2 years putting be back under 5/24.  I COULD apply now before my EDP reports as I am technically 4/24 (assuming Chase knows about the CSR as a new account even though it isn't reporting yet).

Wonder if anyone can confirm my points logic here with having all 3 cards and the 50% redemption bonus as a baseline (not max possible):

CSR

4.5x on Travel

4.5x on Dining

Freedom

7.5x on Categories

FU

2.25x on everything else

Message 7 of 9
brewcrew87
Regular Contributor

@Xistaben2 wrote:

@MuadDibx wrote:

@Also puts my credit line with Chase @ $70.5k.  WOW...so far from the guy with a low 500s score a few years ago!

Nice, congrats!  Still thinking about waiting on the FU until (ironically enough) early next year when my Freedom card is older than 2 years putting be back under 5/24.  I COULD apply now before my EDP reports as I am technically 4/24 (assuming Chase knows about the CSR as a new account even though it isn't reporting yet).

Wonder if anyone can confirm my points logic here with having all 3 cards and the 50% redemption bonus as a baseline (not max possible):

CSR

4.5x on Travel

4.5x on Dining

Freedom

7.5x on Categories

FU

2.25x on everything else

That looks about right...  I am still holding off on apping for the FU.  Even the banker there said he still prefers his Freedom to it, and he noted that since I have the Ink+ that there are lots of ways out there to get gift cards at office supply stores - which is very true.  Smiley Wink

Anyway, I would add the following to it:

Ink+ / Ink Cash

7.5x on office supply stores and on cellular phone, landline, internet and cable TV services

3.0x on gas stations

Main Cards: CSR(30k), DiscoverIT(50k), Freedom(10.5k), Ink+(17k), SallieMae(17.5k), 3x BoA MLB(24k), 2x BoA BBR(16k) and probably too many other cards at this point...
Current Score:
EQ: ??? TU: 799 EX: 784 - Last Updated 2-2-17 - Last CC App 11/25/16
Message 8 of 9
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I am glad you app'd before I saw this thread.  I would have embarrassed myself telling you Chase will deny you for being over 5/24.   Congrats on the approval.

Personally I wouldn't say the freedom is 7.5x, CSR 4.5x, etc.  I think I would stick with the 5x.  As long as you have the CSR, you get the 50% bonus for travel through Chase.  But it does require the CSR's AF to get the 50%.  In which case, the Freedom return would be 7.5%, CSR 4.5%.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.