Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the Hhonors points and run?

tag
primechicken
Contributor

Take the Hhonors points and run?

OK here's my situation...

My SO was approved for the Amex Hilton and the Citi Hilton same day a couple weeks ago. We now have both cards as the Citi finally showed up in the mail today.

The offers, as I recall, were:

Amex: spend $750 (in first three months) = 60,000 Hhonors points

Citi: spend $2000 (in first three months) = 75,000 Hhonors points

We've already spent past the $750 threshold on the Amex card, and we're about to put a cruise on the Citi card which will almost clear the $2000.

Here's my question:

Once the $750 and the $2000 minimums have been met... if we then transfer both balances to our BofA card (they made an offer on balance transfers which would be interest-free till 2017), do we still get the Hhonors points? Or does this violate some sort of rule and disqualify us from getting the points? I've looked around and haven't really seen much about this. Has anyone tried it?

We want the points (that's why we got the cards), so obviously we won't do balance transfers if it means we'll lose em. But if it makes no difference, we might as well put the balances where they won't get charged interest.

Any suggestions/feedback/experience would be much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
lenz99
New Contributor

Re: Take the Hhonors points and run?

When you transfer balance OUT from a card, it works like making payment to that card and there is no side effect -- the BT IN card might get a high usage thus affect your score but thats another story.

If you feel uncomfortable you can also deposit the BT check to your checking account(I believe it should work with BoA, better read the TOS and double check though), then make payment from it.

Message 2 of 4
primechicken
Contributor

Sure enough. Just checked on the BofA site and the offer is the same for direct deposit as it is for balance transfer. Good lookin out.

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 3 of 4
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@primechicken wrote:

Sure enough. Just checked on the BofA site and the offer is the same for direct deposit as it is for balance transfer. Good lookin out.

Make sure you read the fine print on those BofA checks. They come with fees for using the direct deposit checks. DW and I made the mistake of using the checks to pay off other cc's and got hit with the fee each statement.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.