Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking a vacation

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Taking a vacation

When I take my vacation next month, do I really need to notify any lender whos credit card I may be using?  I will be one state away.

If so, how do I go about it?  Is there a place on the websites or do I just call each one or what?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Taking a vacation

It's up to you if you notify them or not.  Do you want to run the risk of a denial?  Might or might not happen.  I've had cards that were fine and cards that were denied until I called in and told them I was traveling to have the restriction lifted.  I generally don't notify unless traveling internationally but,again, your call.

As for how -- depends on the creditor.  Some allow you to notify them via their site.  Some you have to call in.

Message 2 of 11
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

It's up to you if you notify them or not.  Do you want to run the risk of a denial?  Might or might not happen.  I've had cards that were fine and cards that were denied until I called in and told them I was traveling to have the restriction lifted.  I generally don't notify unless traveling internationally but,again, your call.

As for how -- depends on the creditor.  Some allow you to notify them via their site.  Some you have to call in.

On one hand, probably not a big deal. I don't notify when moving one state over.

On the other hand, it won't hurt anything

Message 3 of 11
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Does anyone know which lenders have the option to notify on their sites so I don't waste a tone of time searching?  I will definately be using Chase, AMEX, Cap1, GE, and Barclay cards for different things.  I'm sure there is nowhere to notify GE.  How about the others?

Message 4 of 11
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

Does anyone know which lenders have the option to notify on their sites so I don't waste a tone of time searching?  I will definately be using Chase, AMEX, Cap1, GE, and Barclay cards for different things.  I'm sure there is nowhere to notify GE.  How about the others?

I have my residency in one state but have been in another for a month and a half and I travel the midwest a lot! The only time I have had a problem was when I was hitting 8 states in two days and my debit card locked on me. I called and they just were concerned there was a card theft. They asked where/when I would be and I rattled off like 10 states in 10 days and basically said...anywhere from MI to FL in the midwest.   So then I called Cap1 to tell them and they were like "oh that's fine, we don't need to be notified for travel within the us, only for international travel" 

So I have never had a problem.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Also, notification doesn't always work anyway.  I certainly wouldn't bother for one state away.  Capital One has (or had) Travel Notification, think Chase does as well

Message 6 of 11
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

I know Barclay offers the online notification of travel.

Click the 'tools' icon and you'll notice a section labled 'My Travel'. There you'll be able to put location and dates of travel.

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 7 of 11
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

OK so I think I've decided just to roll with it and not worry about it.  If all I have to do is call in if declined, that works for me.  I've got plenty enough plastic in my wallet to get by. 

Message 8 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

When I went To Baltimore and Washington DC for a week and I live in NYC I never bothered to call to tell them i am traveling ( Didn't know i needed or should do that ) and used my Amex and Discover cards with no issues

I did have an issue buying something at a CVS in my neighborhood though with discover where they rejected it for possible fraud though lol 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA has been sensitive to my being one state from my home and they do have on line notification.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.