New Contributor
BullsEye10

Taking advantage of an offer ...

Well, I have a reunion coming up in April in South Beach.  One fof my friends is springing for a suite at The W Hotel, but around 14 of us are going to need to find alternate accomodations (or spend over $700 per night to stay at The W).

I found a Whyndham that is near The W (not on the beach but irrelevant with access at The W) that costs 15,000 points per night.  

I then found an ad for the Whyndham Rewards Card where I get 30,000 points after my first purchase (annual fee is $69.00).

My questions are as follows:

1.  Is this a decent card?

2.  Should I recommend to my friends that half of us app for the card, take the 30,000 free points and get the free weekend (2 to a room)?

3.  The annual fee is waived the first year ... if I cancel before the first year is up do I owe them anything for the points I took advantage of?

Thanks in advance

AMEX Platinum - NPSL (Approved for $75,000.00)
AMEX Gold Business - NPSL
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22,500.00)
Bank of America Cash Rewards ($5,000.00) - Sock Drawer
Discover ($4,500.00) - Sock Drawer
Capital One Venture ($7,500) - Sock Drawer
Established Contributor
SwiftTone

Re: Taking advantage of an offer ...

[ Edited ]

BullsEye10 wrote:

Well, I have a reunion coming up in April in South Beach.  One fof my friends is springing for a suite at The W Hotel, but around 14 of us are going to need to find alternate accomodations (or spend over $700 per night to stay at The W).

I found a Whyndham that is near The W (not on the beach but irrelevant with access at The W) that costs 15,000 points per night.  

I then found an ad for the Whyndham Rewards Card where I get 30,000 points after my first purchase (annual fee is $69.00).

My questions are as follows:

1.  Is this a decent card? I don't think it matters in your case because you you are keeping it for <1 year, and you will get 30k points.

2.  Should I recommend to my friends that half of us app for the card, take the 30,000 free points and get the free weekend (2 to a room)? That's up to them but it's a good plan. You should make sure they understand credit cards so they don't ruin their credit for 2 nights of hotel stay.

3.  The annual fee is waived the first year ... if I cancel before the first year is up do I owe them anything for the points I took advantage of? No. You can cencel before 1 year is up and you won't be olbigated to return the points.

Thanks in advance

You may want to look into Priority Club by Chase. It's $49 a year, 1st year waived. And every year they give you 1 free stay which can be worth up to $500, so it pays for itself. That's what I'm apping for when the time comes.

BCE: $0/$11,200, CSP: $0/$6500, Chase Priority Club: $0/$3500, Freedom: $0/$5000, Barclays NFL: $0/$7000 Discover: $0/$10,000, Citi Dividend: $0/$2000

EQ FICO - 742
TU FICO - 730
EX FICO(AMEX) - 712
New Contributor
BullsEye10

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know if this is a particularly tough card to get?  I don't wnat to propose something that may not be obtainable for my friends and cause issues.

Wyndham Rewards Visa

It is a Visa Signature card, does that mean it is more difficult by definition?

Thanks

AMEX Platinum - NPSL (Approved for $75,000.00)
AMEX Gold Business - NPSL
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22,500.00)
Bank of America Cash Rewards ($5,000.00) - Sock Drawer
Discover ($4,500.00) - Sock Drawer
Capital One Venture ($7,500) - Sock Drawer
Established Contributor
SwiftTone

BullsEye10 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know if this is a particularly tough card to get?  I don't wnat to propose something that may not be obtainable for my friends and cause issues.

Wyndham Rewards Visa

It is a Visa Signature card, does that mean it is more difficult by definition?

Thanks

Visa Signatures are inheritanly harder to get approved for because it has a minimum of $5000 credit line. It's backed by Barclays though so if they are close, and their FICO scores and uti are in check, it shouldn't be a hard recon.

BCE: $0/$11,200, CSP: $0/$6500, Chase Priority Club: $0/$3500, Freedom: $0/$5000, Barclays NFL: $0/$7000 Discover: $0/$10,000, Citi Dividend: $0/$2000

EQ FICO - 742
TU FICO - 730
EX FICO(AMEX) - 712

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+