Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking the Plunge with ZYNC?

tag
G19OD
Contributor

Taking the Plunge with ZYNC?

Hey all,

I love this card for it's looks, but I don't know if it is worth keeping open for it's looks at $25 a year. Believe it or not, but I can afford the $2.08 a month it takes to look at it, but I don't use it.

Has anyone else taken the plunge and closed it? I talked to an Amex CSR and they of course have no new information on the ZYNC. They did offer to PC me to Green, Gold, PRG, etc. But I declined for the time being.

I am thinking of closing it. If I were to do this, would I lose the backdating to 2012? I opened the ZYNC in 2012 and then opened my BCE in January 2013 for the backdating. If I hold onto the BCE, will that backdate future cards to 2012 or does it need to be your original card?

I am thinking of apping CSP and perhaps opening another no AF Amex card to preserve my limited AAoA.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
awiser
Regular Contributor

Re: Taking the Plunge with ZYNC?

Don't think of it as "backdating" but, instead, as "Member Since Date." Your BCE should have a MSD of month opened/2012. All future cards will follow with 2012 as MSD. No need to keep Zync for that. Plus, once closed, the Zync will still report for up to 10 years so this still won't affect your AAoA until then.

I always follow the rule that if I don't use it or it doesn't serve me a purpose, don't have it.

Message 2 of 14
G19OD
Contributor

Solid, thanks!

Message 3 of 14
awiser
Regular Contributor

You're welcome. One more thing: if you want to keep it because it's now unique - or how pretty it is - then keep it even if the account is closed. Take it out and ogle it now and then. Frame it. Whatever works for you. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
G19OD
Contributor

Haha yeah I was considering framing it and throwing it up on the wall. Most won't understand, but that is there loss!

Message 5 of 14
Indo
New Contributor

I would frame it. I see more Centurions than I do Zync!

Starting Score: 673 EQ(2014)
Current Score: 784 EQ(2022)
Goal Score: 750+

Current cards: AmEx Gold (NPSL), Discover It ($17,000), Barclaycard Rewards ($15,600), Amazon Prime Rewards ($25,200), Apple Card ($15,500), AmEx Blue Business Plus ($30,000), Rakuten Visa ($8,000), My Best Buy ($15,000)
Message 6 of 14
G19OD
Contributor

@Indo wrote:

I would frame it. I see more Centurions than I do Zync!

It's almost like.. should I just keep it active? Haha.

Message 7 of 14
jd352
Regular Contributor

I closed mine as I didn't see the point in keeping it anymore. I am framing mine though because it was my first CC. LOL

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 8 of 14
G19OD
Contributor

@jd352 wrote:

I closed mine as I didn't see the point in keeping it anymore. I am framing mine though because it was my first CC. LOL

Think I am about to do this as well. Love the idea of framing it. Glad I got one with the EMV too!

Message 9 of 14
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@jd352 wrote:

+1

Kinda like when businesses frame their first dollar made.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.