Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Me Down -- Trigger Happy for Amex

tag
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

Talk Me Down -- Trigger Happy for Amex

So I'm itching to pull the trigger on an Amex app just to see if I'm worthy, yet. My EX & EQ are clean, but TU has a CO (falls March 2014) & public record (falls June 2014). I have 12 inquiries on EX & TU.

My Barclaycard, Chase & Walmart are only 4 months old. My BOA secured 6 months old. CapOne is closed but with one full year of great payment history. Plus about 60,000 in installment loans (deferred).

So you see how I think I just might be able to get in the door with Amex? Maybe even Citi or Discover. Who wants to talk some sense into me? (And who wants to be the bad influence encouraging me to go ahead, it'll make me feel good?)

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Gatortrout
Regular Contributor

Re: Talk Me Down -- Trigger Happy for Amex

What are your scores?
Message 2 of 17
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

how recent are the inquiries on Experian? what are your credit limits like on your current cards? which AMEX do you want to app for?

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 3 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@Jasir wrote:
So I'm itching to pull the trigger on an Amex app just to see if I'm worthy, yet. My EX & EQ are clean, but TU has a CO (falls March 2014) & public record (falls June 2014). I have 12 inquiries on EX & TU.

My Barclaycard, Chase & Walmart are only 4 months old. My BOA secured 6 months old. CapOne is closed but with one full year of great payment history. Plus about 60,000 in installment loans (deferred).

So you see how I think I just might be able to get in the door with Amex? Maybe even Citi or Discover. Who wants to talk some sense into me? (And who wants to be the bad influence encouraging me to go ahead, it'll make me feel good?)

3 cards that are only four months old? A thin file to start with? I'm not sure another credit card is really appropriate. Even if you got approved for an amex (which I am not sure you would be) I doubt the limit would be anything worthwhile. Its difficult to say because we are missing relevant information, but from what you have posted it seems unlikely that you will have a positive outcome. Going on an app spree with a thin and young file like yours may cause AA as well. I would age your new cards some. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Your doing great with your current cards maybe once that CO falls off on march 2014 then things should be even better. stay garden strong my friend!!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 17
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

My credit history was only 6 months old with two secured cards and a discover and I got approved for amex delta 2k BCE 7k and chase 4k all right at the six month mark. My Utl was at 1% when I applied and had at least 20 inq across all bureaus. I think the effect of inq is exaggerated on this forum. You will only know of you try.
Message 7 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Apply for Gold Premier REwards Charge... If approved, then instantly go back and apply for whichever amex credit card you want!

Message 8 of 17
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I'll have to say with 6 months of history you should be able to get a charge card. I had my ex apply with 6 months of history, she was approved for green. If I were you I'd try, then also go for citi. They aren't to hard to get either with 6 months of history.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 9 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

If you give in to the urge to apply (which is your choice) just don't come back on here and complain about how low the limit is! If you really must have an amex then maybe a charge card now would be a better option (since you don't have to worry about a low initial credit line with a charge card)  and then pick up the revolver in Jan for max backdating and when you will have a chance at a better initial credit line. Overall you should ask yourself do you need these cards right now? I think waiting is the best strategy so your in a stronger position, but the only person that can decide what is in your best interest is you. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.