Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk about Chase now a days

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Talk about Chase now a days

There used to be lot of complaining about Amex few days ago. Now most of the talk is about Wamu/Chase Cards. I wonder if Amex is slowed their AA / FR actions.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Talk about Chase now a days

@Red1Blue wrote:
There used to be lot of complaining about Amex few days ago. Now most of the talk is about Wamu/Chase Cards. I wonder if Amex is slowed their AA / FR actions.

nah- I think it is the new policies went into effect, hit people it was going to hit and that was it.

There will probably be a continual trickle of people who flag themselves and that causes controversy, but that will be a minor ongoing issue
Message 2 of 6
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

AMEX is a better run company than the big banks and they were ahead of the curve.  They chopped quicker and got rid of a lot of non functioning accounts  (along with some good ones that were swept up in the CL destruction).  They are on their way out of the hole, the banks are still working on it.  AMEX was never as bad as many people said they were.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx tried to get a larger piece of the CC business when they offered Delta cards and the like to people with credit scores as low as 590, and also tried to force credit card customers to adopt a charge card mentality. Much of their F/R action in the past two years was an attempt to backtrack from those less than brilliant moves. AmEx's F/R efforts have been scaled back recently, because of the bad publicity they received due to their risk algorithms repeatedly punishing perfectly good customers.

The main difference between AmEx and Chase is that AmEx's adverse action were targeted more individually based on a long list of sometimes bizarre risk triggers, while Chase's actions are aimed at an entire group of accounts. In the case of the ex-WaMu accounts, Chase acquired that portfolio as a side effect of gaining the WaMu banking presence in the West, which was its primary interest. They probably always knew they would need to lop off the worst accounts in the CC portfolio, hence the current CLD/closure action affecting 15% of the ex-WaMu accounts. Aside from ex-WaMu accounts, Chase's actions have affected a very small percentage of their customer (the combined January and August minimum payment increase to 5% affected less than 1% of their accounts).

Both AmEx and Chase are in the process of reducing overall credit limits by about 30% by mid-2010 to strengthen their balance sheets. And AmEx saw double-digit default rates earlier this year. I wouldn't say AmEx had too much to brag about ... Smiley Happy 

Message Edited by Revike on 07-22-2009 11:35 PM
Message 4 of 6
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Chase is my highest CL. I called and asked them about CLD's and the CSR stated "You have to give us a reason" when I asked if they did it at random.
Here we go again...
Message 5 of 6
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
Chase is my highest CL. I called and asked them about CLD's and the CSR stated "You have to give us a reason" when I asked if they did it at random.

You have to give us a reason to be CLD'ed. However, you merely need to exist for us to close your account.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.