Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target CC Data?

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Target CC Data?

In addition to the card and pin numbers that were stolen, I saw an email from target that stated full names, mailing addresses, email addresses and phone numbers were stolen. With this information and the issuing bank it seems like it would be rather simple for a scammer to call up a bank with bad intentions to defraud. What damage can this cause on a personal level to consumers who have had all of this info compromised? They are only a SSN number away from having your identity especially since all other info banks may ask to verify your identity can be readily found on social media. I immediately made sure my Facebook was set to private on privacy settings.
AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Target CC Data?

so true not sure its worth saving 5% for the red debit card if all this has to be considered I am surprised theres no class action suit

Message 2 of 5
RnJ
Contributor

I think it's nearly safe to assume that Target's database all the way to HQ was compromised.  Plus scanning driver licenses and the online shopping information, everything seems to have been breached.

Trusting Target's word for anything right now would be foolish.  They denied PINs were stolen.  They denied online shopping information was breached. They denied that personal information was stolen.  Banks and credit card issuers were the only ones attempting to mitigate the current and future damage to their cardholders.  Target's handling of any of it has been dismal at best.

To the poster above, there have been at least 3 state attorney generals looking into this and there are an equal number of lawsuits filed.  Seems a class action is likely.

Message 3 of 5
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

+1
Message 4 of 5
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Yup. What got me thinking about this was when I saw the post in this forum about a possible boa phishing scam.

Scammers using the stolen info could pose as whatever issuing bank it was, providing verification info that is genuine and dupe either the consumer or bank into providing more info.

It's not like the name and address info isn't readily available, but it is the connections between the identities and the corresponding credit accounts which can have severe consequences. It's not just a short term problem. The links that this info provided will be valid for many years to come.
AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.