Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Card with no credit history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target Card with no credit history

So I am enrolled for my 3rd semester of college, and I saw things for credit cards I only have a debit card. I wouldn't mind charging something everynow and then I did a lot of research last night and know a lot more about applying and the inquiry that there are 3 reports, and that for a good score stay under 30% of the limit on the card. I have a job 22 hours per week I make a lot more though I make $16,016 for a year with time off vacation time exct. I get $3,500 for grants my parents paid for something so i dont have to pay for the college and i won a scholarship for my books. I was thinking i would really enjoy a new car what i am paying now on repairs is a great 36 term auto loan payment. like $300-$500 each month.( i could get the car i would like with that! IM just wasting money on this clunker! )  Its always something. I went to the bank and they told me hold off for a while try to save a down payment and get a store card. That was 4 months ago. I dont make a house payment i have been blessed in so many ways, my gradparents had a rental property they left to me were i am currently enrolled in college just have to pay utilitys and taxes thats about it and insurance but that was pre paid in the will and estate thing. I bring home $1,100 per month. I have a 401K and IRA so i do save Smiley Wink I want a target card I dont want to get anything else i buy grocerys every now and then and wouldnt mind saving 5%! I dont want to waste a inquiry do you think they will give me there card not visa just the card. My credit reports are empty they each have 1 inquiry from capital one on my 18th birthday im 19 now so that shouldnt matter...  Also if not target what would be a good one I dont like the secured card thing I would only do that with citi but they dont offer it there are bound to be others and no capital one perferably We we once on vacation and they cut our limit and we were so embarrised on the cruise! 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Card with no credit history

Without credit history, forget about Target. If you want to save 5% get the debit card version instead.

Message 2 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I got my capital one card and my wells fargo card, and my paypal smart connect with no credit history. I applied for walmart once paypal and wells fargo reported and got approved for that. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

what year was that? Im not a wells fargo customer ;/ I bank at my moms credit union its for teachers im still under he account i like them i have know them all since i was prob 6 or so. Great rates on my savings too!! But they dont have credit cards or lines of credit just like a mortgage and auto and boat stuff like that? 

Message 4 of 13
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Hello Wade

Don't waste your time trying to get a Target store card. With limited and or no history you'll be stuck with very low limits ($200-$300) even if your lucky enough to get approved. Target offers the debit card which has the same benefits that the store card has and you don't have to worry about a credit check.

Take it from someone who has had this crap card for 5 years...IT'S NOT WORTH IT. No consumer initiated credit limit increases and they are worse then CapOne.

Your welcome Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

what year was that? Im not a wells fargo customer ;/ I bank at my moms credit union its for teachers im still under he account i like them i have know them all since i was prob 6 or so. Great rates on my savings too!! But they dont have credit cards or lines of credit just like a mortgage and auto and boat stuff like that? 

I got my WF card less than a month ago. I was in there clearing up a fraud alert on my capital one, and I asked the guy about the student card since I was interested in anyways. I opened up a college checking account with a $100 deposit and was immediately pre-approved for the student credit card. The banker at the branch told me they take a relationship with the bank into consideration during the whole credit process. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok that's cool, u think they do it with a zero credit at all? I might try moving my direct deposit to them or something or do just like that. I just want to clarify lol!
Message 7 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I had no credit at the time, i had my cap1 but it hadnt reported yet. I had 8-9 inqs on my report and around 10k in deferred student loans.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't care about a limit I want to create credit profile I don't care if it's a $100 limit if I have a $1,000+ limit I have it to spend and I really don't want to be able to do that the thing I would want after 1 year of target is a Zync or green card from Amex cause I have to pay them off monthly that's what I want and I don't care If places don't take Amex they just wont get my business the place who dose will
Message 9 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I'd go into a branch and sit down with a banker, the guy I spoke with was really helpful about everything. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.