Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target Card

I got approved for a Target store CC, but only for $200. So I want to know how often does Target increases your credit limit? Thanks
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Card

People I know get them often. Went from 500 to 4800 in a year and half. I think they like use.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 18
lithium78
Established Contributor

I've had the Target redcard for four years.  After a year, it increased from $200 to $1000 and it has stayed there ever since.  I use the card fairly often too.  They don't accept customer initiated CLIs.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 18
CS800
Super Contributor

I was contemplating getting a Tar-jay card. Since I buy my stuffs in NH (no sales tax) I can get the full 5% off versus having to compete with the 6.25% sales tax in MA where I live.

Message 4 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I got mine in 2007 at $200. After PIF, then leaving a balance, then using it and PIF multiple times in a month, and after 4 years, I closed it after receiving 0 CLIs.

DW also started with $200. She used it for her first purchase and it went over to $210 after she did the initial card swipe. She left some items and completed the transaction. The next month they gave her a $300 CLI.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know thanks.
Message 6 of 18
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

They are known for low limits to start with. The 5% is a nice deal. We do most of our grocery and general shopping at Target, and so far this year, we have saved $180 by using our Red Card. It really adds up quickly. Use it, pay it, use it, pay it. I think they will reward you with a CLI sooner than later.
Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 7 of 18
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

If you guys just want to get the 5% off, you can just get the regular non CC target card that links to your checking account. I believe it has the same perks but just not a credit account.

CS800: where in MA are you? I rarely go to NH to shop as I find similar deals online without have to spend the gas and time to go to NH

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 8 of 18
CS800
Super Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:
They are known for low limits to start with. The 5% is a nice deal. We do most of our grocery and general shopping at Target, and so far this year, we have saved $180 by using our Red Card. It really adds up quickly. Use it, pay it, use it, pay it. I think they will reward you with a CLI sooner than later.

The target here in MA and NH just started offering groceries. But you can save more by going to a local grocery store here like Hannafords or Shaws. Give you and example, I buy the chobani greek yogurt every week. At Shaws it's $1 a piece at Target it's $1.29 for the same thing.

Message 9 of 18
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

If you guys just want to get the 5% off, you can just get the regular non CC target card that links to your checking account. I believe it has the same perks but just not a credit account.

+1 - this is how I started. When you get their debit card, they ask for your social. They do not pull credit but I think this is for their internal records. I did this and used the debit card for 6 months. After 6 months, I app'd for the RedCard at the store and was approved for $2500. They keep track of your spending.

If you want to get a decent line to start with, you might consider doing the same but as always YMMV...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.