cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Late and Collection Call... Simmer Down!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target Late and Collection Call... Simmer Down!!

Oh, and I don't blame the OP for not giving out checking account information over the phone. Too many crooks working for banks these days!!!

Message 11 of 17
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Late is late, whether it is one day or thirty days. Maybe the person on the telephone was rude but it still does not change the fact that the payment was not made by the time it was due. They may not report to the bureaus but it will be on file with them. I would say you should be lucky they did not close the card or decrease the limit. Having two bankruptcies could also be a reason for them being nervous about a missed payment. I have never been late, but if I was I would just pay right over the telephone. The sooner the better.

I hope this does not come off as rude or anything. I just really think that you are overreacting. When someone loans money, they expect it back by the agreed upon date. If it was me I would be ringing the next day as well.

With all due respect.... +1

While I understand your outrage at the blatantly disrespectful tone of the person that called to get payment; I also understand the concern of the company that extended you credit, with your spottty (over-all) credit history. 

You know better than to be late on *any* payment. Especially with your credit history. 

Vent all you want. there are 3 factors here that apply:

1) You did not stick to your agreed payment plan (by being late on your required pay date)

2) You have a history (2 BKs) of not paying your creditors (despite your payment history with *this* particular creditor)

3) While the collector may have been rude (possibly out of line); your creditor is well within their rights to call you regarding a late payment; especially considering point 2.

While I'm not condoning the rudeness; I can certainly understand them putting pressure on you to pay your debt (as agreed upon, when you opened the account).

I've given personal loans to several "friends" (always with collateral required). Often times I find I have to give a hard payment deadlne, or the collateral is forfeit. It sucks; but it happens. People tend to not pay; unless there is a consequence. This is the world we live in. 

While you may have all the best intentions; your BK history shows evidence of non-payment. 

Any prudent creditor would take everything into account.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 12 of 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Late is late, whether it is one day or thirty days. Maybe the person on the telephone was rude but it still does not change the fact that the payment was not made by the time it was due. They may not report to the bureaus but it will be on file with them. I would say you should be lucky they did not close the card or decrease the limit. Having two bankruptcies could also be a reason for them being nervous about a missed payment. I have never been late, but if I was I would just pay right over the telephone. The sooner the better.

I hope this does not come off as rude or anything. I just really think that you are overreacting. When someone loans money, they expect it back by the agreed upon date. If it was me I would be ringing the next day as well.

Yes, late is late.   Right is right and wrong is wrong.  But people don't have to be rude about it.  I believe that is what she is trying to convey here.  Someone wrote that Target had been hit hard by the recession.  Well they weren't alone and you don't rectify that deficit by souring your relationship with your customer.  She never said that she wasn't going to pay the bill.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Yes, late is late.   Right is right and wrong is wrong.  But people don't have to be rude about it.  I believe that is what she is trying to convey here.  Someone wrote that Target had been hit hard by the recession.  Well they weren't alone and you don't rectify that deficit by souring your relationship with your customer.  She never said that she wasn't going to pay the bill.

I'm a guy, But I complain like a women... KIDDING! (but I am  guySmiley Tongue)

DING DING DING... I was just speaking with a upper manager with Verizon on Tuesday after I got hung up on, transferred with no warning, then had a 2nd level up manager say "I don't know anything about your 3 previous calls and I see NO notes that you even called in... it was all about a warranty replacement iPhone and the steps they need to go through before sending out replacement or customer might get billed, but I did those steps so if problem continued it was "suppose" to be noted to just send new phone, no more troubleshoot... so in the end the manager was lying to me about the previous reps, notes, and the system that tacks EVERYONE that touches your account!  it all came down to a 46 minute call that should have been less than 6 and a 2nd level manager that was clearly having a bad day at a minimum... so the point is, when Im talking to this guy, he said "So are we talking apology, are we talking just filing feedback for the good and especially feedback and call reviews of the bad or some credit.... I said that is just it and it's almost to bad... I said yes the time = money, long time good customer and you (company) messed up = usually is money, most complaints are heavily added to, or othe rthings, etc. etc. and I said it always LOOKs like it's the money, but you know what sure Im not going to turn credits down, but actually if you look at all my corporate emails and letters I have only been issued or asked for credit twice and this was actually my second talk with upper level Veirzon, first time even higher then this person was and I never asked and was not offered credit the first time... in this case, when getitng off phone with this manager who has already been talking stupid with me, I said this was not handled how i was told it would be and i think some credit for a 45 min call should be given... she quickly stated that this was not a verizon issue, it was a bad phone so no credit would be given... I said the phone was the reason to call but you and the reps before you are the reason for the credit... she turned around and gave me $4... it was simply principle at that point, I clearly know my $250 Verizon bill with 5 lines is not even close to touching what Verizon would probably consider most important customers but this manager knew that she held the power and she was mad and what's the best way to stab your customer while saying it with a smile i have issued you credit... is to give them the most obsured number ever!

I ended up talking to this guy for 40 minutes, it took all of about 30 seconds for me to know how this conversation was going to exdend from here, and I think he did as well (What I mean by that is yes I was VERY angry when I snapped out a email to corporate 1 page long in about 120 seconds so he calls thinking he is going to get a bunch of stupid talk and yelling... but that is oppisite of what I want, so if you start talking to me about points, or thoughts over time, or business, etc. I will no longer be angry and I can take away from it that someone at that company is good and I was able to give 5 stars to the agent that did it right and I was able to get a letter sent to her, her manager, and that manager mangers and the notes even told much of her attitude and he talked on the 5 star customer thing MANY times (Foget what they call it, but pretty standard for customer service I think... he obviously viewed it more towards the way I do... what is it (Happy Wife, Happy Life) Customer Service is the same!

these responses from me today are getting rediculously long! sorry... but to some up (30 seconds! is what my friends and I say to long winded stories) the first corporate letter to Verizon was over the new $500 Limits to charge new phones and such to your account... I had 2 reps that knew nothing about it and 1 rep (manager) who said it had been that way as long as he had been there and that it couldn't be raised.. etc. etc.

Turns out it was because of the iPhones... The second she was honest and said that I think I may have even laughed! we talked for over an hour! (again that was the call that I did not ask or offered money but the call to begin was about money, but not in form of credits....

That's all this entire post was and all my other complaining posts I do... online and by text it's hard to convey that yes it's a complaint, but it's not just a pointless blah blah you never have anything positive to say about places... I do say bad things more than good things about places... much of which I have said for long time is because of economy and it's exactly the problem, unemployed, underemployed, bad customer service, it's a snow ball that is getting bigger and faster and getting harder and harder to stop it!

Message 14 of 17
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

he says that it isn't a good idea to pay in store because it will take longer to update and I will continue to get collection calls and might hurt my credit."

I've made cash payments of up to 300 or 400 that were posted either in the evening or by the next day.

And regarding Target's aggresiveness and rudeness towards Creditaddict, this has been ongoing as documented in customer comments spanning many years; i.e., this is not an isolated instance.

http://www.cardoffers.com/Credit-Card-Commentaries/Target-Visa-Card

http://www.cardoffers.com/Credit-Card-Commentaries/Target-Guest-Card

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/credit_cards/target-credit-card.html

Message 15 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Sucks that they treated you that way CA but everyone does have a point with your prior history the creditor more than likely got spooked. Just pay them asap and hopefully no AA comes your way.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@MojaveMoon wrote:

he says that it isn't a good idea to pay in store because it will take longer to update and I will continue to get collection calls and might hurt my credit."

I've made cash payments of up to 300 or 400 that were posted either in the evening or by the next day.

And regarding Target's aggresiveness and rudeness towards Creditaddict, this has been ongoing as documented in customer comments spanning many years; i.e., this is not an isolated instance.

http://www.cardoffers.com/Credit-Card-Commentaries/Target-Visa-Card

http://www.cardoffers.com/Credit-Card-Commentaries/Target-Guest-Card

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/credit_cards/target-credit-card.html

NICE - Youare awsome!

LS - Yes most have had a point on here that I was late... In the end I just think it's rediciulous that a collection agent would hand up on ME, They are the ones that called... But I also understand depending if im yelling, swearing, etc. they should hang up.... it's 1 BK now, and I still go back to 3 of them were approved DURING the 2nd BK, while the ch 7 was still showing, NOW not only is the Ch 7 not showing, but I am not IN tthe ch 13 anymore (They should not have even been approving me, also I should not have been applying, but we could debate tthat till the cows come home) some banks it might be more relevant but in this case I think BK is not even on the map especially since they don't even seem to know I have more than 1 card, even used 1 yesterday while the non payment one is frozen, try doing that with Amex!

Paid, moving on! lol

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.