cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Late and Collection Call... Simmer Down!!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Target Late and Collection Call... Simmer Down!!

Sometime Yesterday Afternoon I got an e-mail from Target saying that my payment was not received and was due... Totally missed it, not disputing that, Im at Target probably 3 times a week, no biggie take care of it this weekend.  So then this morning I was trying to log in and to see when I missed and how much it was. System down.

About 8:05AM phone ringing and it's a guy at Target that says I missed my payment and can he have my checking to take payment for last month AND this month (not due until 09/20/2012. I told him it was just an oversite lots going on, not a problem I will be in Target this weekend... he says that it isn't a good idea to pay in store because it will take longer to update and I will continue to get collection calls and might hurt my credit.  I said time to clear is not important, it's not going to change anything rather it's paid today or in 20 days now that next payment is set.  he went into the collection calls and credit and such.  I said again it's not 30 days late until after next payment and it will be done before that and you all can't report it until after that and I was like besides what am I 3-4 days late? he wouldn't tell me and asked again about payment over the phone and how much.

I said I said it many times already I will pay this weekend in store and Im not giving you my checking account number.

He said "Fine, I will mark your account that you are refusing to pay your debt and that you won't bring it current and you don't care about your credit... CLICK!~

I almost went through the roof!

So about this time I finally DO get logged into the system to only see my payment was due yesterday!

is it that hard up over at Target that they are calling within 12 hours of missed payments of $35!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Late and Collection Call... Simmer Down!!

Wow.  I can't believe how rude the guy was.  That was totally unnecessary.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@MsLadyRover wrote:

I actually called right back... That did not make it better on the second guy and I probably ruined any valid case I had with the letter to corporate on the second call because he was just as nasty and I ended up hanging up (as I try to do vs. yell and stuff so I DO have a good call if i write corporate and they listen) BUT this morning, my happy pills had not kicked in yet, I screamed a lot for about 7-10 seconds before I hit END! :/

I just get so angry when someone working in collections doesn't have the ability to see if they might have someone they need to be hard on and run that border of okay things to say and not say or if they are dealing with someone that either just forgot, just running a little short on bills, something not normal with long time customer, to stay calm and lower your voice and "TALK,  like a human.

I always remember when I started to work on paying for my santander loan after i dismissed my ch 13 bk and they took it because court had not been paying them that much... I called her, so already that should give you an idea that you are dealing with someone that is TRYING!

We got to a certain point on a number that I thoguth we might be able to agree on and asked for her to send over a letter with the amount and terms... she refused (HUH)

She would not give me anything in writing until I agreed to pay the debt... Isn't that the purpose of the letter... she ended up refusing and saying something similar that you won't agree so you are not trying to take care of this debt and I will mark it refusel to pay and to escalate the claim.

Clearly I hung up and called back and got it settled for actually even less! (I will call that my good karma for that one!)

The Target guy I really wanted to be like you IDIOT, I have 4 cards including 1 card from 1999, that I carried through my 20001 BK 7, and then again in 2007 with my BK 13, don't you think Im showing I always PAY YOU! (The balance at the time of both Bk's was $0 so it gets listed as an account that gets  a letter of what is happening but does not go on the list of things to include as bad debt.

Message 3 of 17
n777ua
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@MsLadyRover wrote:

1 card from 1999, that I carried through my 20001 BK 7, and then again in 2007 with my BK 13, don't you think Im showing I always PAY YOU! (The balance at the time of both Bk's was $0 so it gets listed as an account that gets  a letter of what is happening but does not go on the list of things to include as bad debt.

Can you file BK more than once every 10 years ? 

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 4 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Chapter 7 every 7 years, chapter 13 I believe every 3,4,5 not sure

I filed 13 because i couldn't file 7... I should have never filed! but not sure I wouldn't have done a 7 a year later... i had the realestate that went on forever, not sure how that would have played out if i hadn't filed.

but the 13 didn't make any sense to me after I was in it...

Message 5 of 17
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Target got burned very badly (and I mean really bad) during the recession, which is probably why they were on top of it when you missed your due date.

That said, can you not just pay it online right away? Why visit a store to do so?

Message 6 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Target got burned very badly (and I mean really bad) during the recession, which is probably why they were on top of it when you missed your due date.

That said, can you not just pay it online right away? Why visit a store to do so?

I use my bill pay, which wouldn't pay until next week... 

I will most likely be in store and pay while there, but literally at this point besides them calling I have no push to need to pay until the 20th now!  But initially I would have "Most" likely paid over phone if he would reverse the late, but I didn't know about that until I got online.

it's all over now and I have better things to worry about this minute.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have been fuming! My friend went in to purchase some camping equipment for a trip, got the register, card denied. Can't figure out why, card PIF, $500 limit and only buying $210 worth of stuff. Calls in and finds out they dropped the CL from $500 to $200. After seeing that I decided I would never even consider a card through them. Now, after hearing your story, I will DEFINITELY never consider a card from them!!! Good luck in the future with them!

Message 8 of 17
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Late is late, whether it is one day or thirty days. Maybe the person on the telephone was rude but it still does not change the fact that the payment was not made by the time it was due. They may not report to the bureaus but it will be on file with them. I would say you should be lucky they did not close the card or decrease the limit. Having two bankruptcies could also be a reason for them being nervous about a missed payment. I have never been late, but if I was I would just pay right over the telephone. The sooner the better.

I hope this does not come off as rude or anything. I just really think that you are overreacting. When someone loans money, they expect it back by the agreed upon date. If it was me I would be ringing the next day as well.

Message 9 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Late is late, whether it is one day or thirty days. Maybe the person on the telephone was rude but it still does not change the fact that the payment was not made by the time it was due. They may not report to the bureaus but it will be on file with them. I would say you should be lucky they did not close the card or decrease the limit. Having two bankruptcies could also be a reason for them being nervous about a missed payment. I have never been late, but if I was I would just pay right over the telephone. The sooner the better.

I hope this does not come off as rude or anything. I just really think that you are overreacting. When someone loans money, they expect it back by the agreed upon date. If it was me I would be ringing the next day as well.

Late is late and I never said that I was disagreeing, it's just the first time I have EVER had a bank call me next day!  USBank is 5 days past payment, they were my previous shortest time period I knew of.

Bankruptcy and worried:

1.  My BK 7 is gone from my reports BUT, maybe the 4 cards part was missed...

2.  My Card I got first month of being 18 is open and has $300 CL, Fast forward to 2007 and I file Ch. 13, Target was sent letter but also in the letter it said they were not included (they did not close my card) Now in 2008, applied and approved for $200, which is the card that is late today ($1500 Limit) I got the increase in 2009 I think it was to $1000 and then it went to $1500 in 2010ish Ithink.  My 2 other cards are $200 and one was opened in beginning of 2009 and the 4th late 2009 - they have never been increased at all.

I would really love to see their computer system because reps to not seem to be able to see all accounts together unless I give them the last 4 digits from the cards or do some different social security search....

And one more point... These Customer Service/Collections was not seeing any part of my credit report so I doubt he would even know anything about BK's.

OVER REACT.. ME??? PLEASE! LOL Smiley Tongue

But who hung up on ho (first call!)

You know in the end I "Usually" do not give out checking over phone for stuff like late pays or fixing the couple of collections I did last year... but what I WILL almost always do is if you start to give me wrong info, start to talk "stupid" is what I call it when someone at a company does talk to me like that.  I may not know all wording and what page or what not they or i can look at such rule or what not but I know what comes really close to line or crosses it and I will argue or explain wrong stuff (I sometimes get it back, it's okay) it's all in how they are talking to me... He started to be rude in like 10 seconds, so I decided long before we got to 15 seconds that 1. I was not going to pay, and 2. that I would most likely sit on the phone as long as he wanted!  I mean I did spend 96 Minutes with an overseas ebay Rep before about a feedback tht was wrong... she just kept repeating without answering and I kept asking the same thing.... then she would put mute on and I would do the same and after 5-10 minutes (Yes really!) she would say sir, sir are you there? Id be like yes, how can I help you?! she would repeat that this is what can or can't be done and is anything else. and I would respond back you have not answered me yet, so yes there is more... and she would say oh, okay and what is that?! I mean 96 minutes!! I just couldn't imagine the flags that I would HOPE that call time would throw in the system!!  but like I said unlike today for the most part I am very well spoken, I don't swear (that was super hard for me to stop!) but I try to get as much info and facts, and right and wrong things to write a letter to corporate... Almost ALL of my corporate letters ended in VERY super nice, long, calls... GE was the exception!

Hope some of that makes sense, back to baking my cookies, I went a little long! LOL

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.