Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target REDcard Closed for no reason?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target REDcard Closed for no reason?

Has anyone ever had their REDcard cancelled for no apparent reason? I use it quite frequently, and recently purchased a few things here and there (including a couple of $200 prepaid visa giftcards). I'm never late, and have always used under the full credit limit. Hell, they have even given me multiple CLI's in the past 12 months. First, they closed my online profile, so I called. That was on the 1st. I was advised to send a copy of my social security card, drivers license, and recent utility bill. Fast forward to today, I have access to my account online, and the available credit says 0 when it should be about $400....I call again and am told they closed it. 

Not once during any of these scenarios did they attempt to reach out or send an email. Apparently, they mailed a letter yesterday....which no one there can see it, and I was advised to wait and see....

anyone have any thoughts on the scenario?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
dfitzg
Regular Contributor

Re: Target REDcard Closed for no reason?

gift cards may have triggered it 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i mean thats my assumption as well...but ive bought them before with no issue. oddly enough why wouldnt you reject that type of transaction in store if its an issue?

Message 3 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That seems odd. As far as I know, buying gift cards with the card is not frowned upon. They even go so far as to explicitly mention that they are not eligible for the 5% off. Anything else going on that might spook them? Fraud alerts? High utilization? Lots of new accounts and/or inquiries?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i mean i recently acquired a west elm card to buy some furniture....do you think that might have something to do with it?

Message 5 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

One new card? Almost certainly not unless it’s maxed out and causing your overall utilization to be extremely high.

Also, forgot to say welcome to the forums and thanks for posting. Hopefully you’ll have the letter in hand soon and at least figure out if you have some form of recourse.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks. a long time peruser of the forums....just never had anything to really discuss until now. lol. i'm at 36% approximately along all lines. some are high, others have none. I just have never had this occur....especially when they ask for me to send them information. I'll update when i hear anything new.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.