Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target REDcard application FYI

tag
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Re: Target REDcard application FYI

@Anonymous wrote:

I felt so bad, the poor girl that was checking me out got SO EXCITED that she had a REDcard app in line (I guess they get incentivized somehow) and then it didn't seem to work.  Oh well, happy I got it!  The only issue is that I guess you usually get a receipt with your number to use in the meantime while waiting for the card, and I didn't.

Each cashier has a quota for a certain weekly percentage (usually 0.5-1.0%) of prompted applications being completed by guests. Completing an app without a prompt still counts for them, but only for half of a prompted app's worth (even if the cashier has guests complete N number of non-prompted apps, their percentage can only go up to 50% without any prompted apps in the mix). If you consistently do not meet your quota as a cashier, it is considered grounds for termination. Smaller stores probably don't enforce that all the time, but larger stores certainly have enough access to talent to rotate out the people that can't keep up. In my brief time working for them, I saw plenty of people either terminated or moved off of the register elsewhere in the store for not keeping up.

Note that I said completed applications, not approved applications. They don't penalize the cashiers for the (non-)worthiness of their guests. They soft pull credit as well as I believe ChexSystems for the debit card, and they hard pull for the credit card.

At any rate, congrats for the approval. Hopefully soon they change their policies and start giving out increases (bring back the Target Visa, anyone??).

Message 11 of 22
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I doubt we will see the Visa again. I have read that Target really took a bath on the Visa cards gone bad so to speak.

We have the Visa and I think many of the Exec's at Target carry them also. We only use it at Target for the 5%. But it is kind of cool to carry a card that is no longer issued!

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 12 of 22
CaptKirk
Established Member

same thing happened to me last week. I applied to get the 5% off and the system didnt seem to work, tried again at dif register and it didnt work again, so they just gave me a discount and i bought with my USAA card. Then a week later I get a Red card in the mail even though it had appeared that the application system wasn't working in store. Only $300 CL Smiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 22
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

MY grandmother has a Target Visa and I am JEALOUS!!  I hopethey will bring them back.  Even if you have to be a customer for a while like with Walmart Discover cards.  BRING IT BACK!!

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 14 of 22
westo12
Established Contributor

@tboy1977 wrote:

I got $200,so I'm hoping it will increase.

Did they give you this card/line recently?  If yes, even with scores in the 400's?

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 15 of 22
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Target gave me $200 back in '08. I had limited credit history at the time. Now in '12 i still have a $200 limit. Good thing it has no AF or i would have threw this crap card away long time ago. If you think Capital One doesn't grow with you just wait till you get a Target card with a low starting limit. My scores are 700+ with all 3 CB's so it's not like it's a history or score thing anymore...

Message 16 of 22
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Both the credit and debit cards do the exact same thing correct? As far as the 5% discount right? The main benefits for the credit would just be a new TL??

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 17 of 22
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

Both the credit and debit cards do the exact same thing correct? As far as the 5% discount right? The main benefits for the credit would just be a new TL??

And the ability to use it on Target mobile website.

Message 18 of 22
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

And the ability to use it on Target mobile website.

The debit card cannot be used for online purchases?

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 19 of 22
lithium78
Established Contributor

I love my Redcard.  I got it back in 2008 when I first got serious about fixing my credit.  They started me off with the $200 CL and a year later gave me a CLI to $1000 where it still stands today.  I use it at least once a month to keep it current.  The 5% off was fantastic for the holidays.  I used it to buy a TV on Black Friday from their website and I got a nifty discount and free shipping from their website.  It would be nice to get a CLI for utilization purposes, but, if I'm being honest, I probably don't need more that a $1k limit for their store.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.