Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target REDcard credit limit reduced

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Target REDcard credit limit reduced

I guess I was asking for this, since I haven't used my REDcard in over 1 year, but I noticed that my credit limit has been slashed down to $200.   I can only assume that they are about to close the account.  So I am now debating whether I want to let this get closed automatically, close it myself, or start shopping for Target stuff online in order to keep this account open.  I am leaning toward option 1: let the credit grantor close the account.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Target REDcard credit limit reduced

Have you been inactive with card or is there a credit issue that is causing this decrease?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 15
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Have you been inactive with card or is there a credit issue that is causing this decrease?

@DaveSignal wrote:

I guess I was asking for this, since I haven't used my REDcard in over 1 year, but I noticed that my credit limit has been slashed down to $200.   I can only assume that they are about to close the account.  So I am now debating whether I want to let this get closed automatically, close it myself, or start shopping for Target stuff online in order to keep this account open.  I am leaning toward option 1: let the credit grantor close the account.

Sounds like you don't really need the REDcard Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@manwoot wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Sounds like you don't really need the REDcard Smiley Happy

Slow today.  Missed that.  I would still double check my credit reports to make sure.  A lot of card issuers don't really reduce CLs for inactivity but they may close after a really long time.  Although I seem to remember target being one of them.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 15
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

yes, it's because I haven't used it... mostly because I don't currently live in a place where there are Target stores.  I certainly don't need the card right now.  I move around a lot though, so that doesn't mean that I won't be near a Target in the future and the 5% off is better than any of my CC rewards.   I guess I can reapply again in the future if I am in such a circumstance.

ETA:  The reduced limit is on my credit reports... that is how I noticed it.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 15
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

What was the credit limit before? How old is the account?

Message 6 of 15
CS800
Super Contributor

I always keep $5 on it to report; although I shop at the Red Ball store (that's what my daughter calls it) very often

Message 7 of 15
jlfce1
Regular Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

yes, it's because I haven't used it... mostly because I don't currently live in a place where there are Target stores.  I certainly don't need the card right now.  I move around a lot though, so that doesn't mean that I won't be near a Target in the future and the 5% off is better than any of my CC rewards.   I guess I can reapply again in the future if I am in such a circumstance.

ETA:  The reduced limit is on my credit reports... that is how I noticed it.

Just an fyi....they offer a Target Debit now that links to your checking that offers the same exact benefits as their credit card. I never use my target card anymore because I can get the same rewards, not to mention mine only has a $500 CL. Also - with the redcard (CC & Debit) you get free shipping when you use it at Target.com. 

After reading this, I may as well close it.

Amex BCE 24.5K | BofA Cash Rewards 15K | CSP MC 13.5K| Chase Freedom 7.5K | Discover IT 3K
Message 8 of 15
tinom1234
New Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

Oh gosh...same thing happened to me. I had a $500 limit, they lowered it to $200, and then closed it. Bah. All due to inactivity. They never even told me they were closing it; I found out via my credit report. I just use the Target Debit Card for the 5% discount now.

EX 758 | EQ 721 | TU 768
Goal: 760+ across the board by May 2015
Gold Delta SkyMiles AMEX $32.8K | Citi Thank You Preferred $7K | Discover It $8.2K | Chase $3K + a few store cards
Message 9 of 15
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

What was the credit limit before? How old is the account?

Was at $700.  Not a huge amount, but enough to buy things at Target.  A drop to $200 is definitely noticeable though.  The account was opened sometime in 2011, about 2 years ago.  I haven't used it since July or August of 2012.  I might just let them close it if they want.  Or I will just call and close this card, plus a few others that I don't use.  They aren't really doing anything for me right now, don't have any significant effect on my utilization, and just take up space in my sock-drawer wallet.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.