Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target REDcard credit limit reduced

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Target REDcard credit limit reduced

I wonder if something is going on with the Target CC. It seems there are numerous posts with people with excellent scores and prime cards getting CLD or getting approved with ultra toy limits. It's puzzling because it seems like Target does promote their store card inside the store. If a CSR at Target tried to get me to sign up for their card for the additional discount, I think I would laugh. I'm not going to waste an inq for no stinking $200 cl! Smiley LOL

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 11 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

My Target Visa's CL remains intact.  However, I keep it active quite frequently.  It seems this points more to inactivity than anything else.

Message 12 of 15
jlfce1
Regular Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

What was the credit limit before? How old is the account?

Was at $700.  Not a huge amount, but enough to buy things at Target.  A drop to $200 is definitely noticeable though.  The account was opened sometime in 2011, about 2 years ago.  I haven't used it since July or August of 2012.  I might just let them close it if they want.  Or I will just call and close this card, plus a few others that I don't use.  They aren't really doing anything for me right now, don't have any significant effect on my utilization, and just take up space in my sock-drawer wallet.

No matter what, it's always a bummer to receive a CLD. 

Have you tried calling? I just called and tried to cancel my card.  The woman I spoke to referenced my history from 2008, never late, never missed a payment, etc., etc.

She stated for the past few years with the economy, they weren't reviewing accounts and now they are doing automated reviews for CLI.  I also informed her that I don't use this card and I didn't want them to close it for inactivity and she advised that they will not (Clearly, this doesn't mean this is 100% accurate, but I found it interesting).  She asked me to give it some time to let them review and determine a CLI. So I told her I'd give it another month. It doesn't hurt me to keep it, but it's also nice to close account that aren't use because it's one less to have to keep tabs on.

Anyway, I'd call to find their reasoning behind it to see if you can't get your CL back.  Worst thing that happens if you're in the same spot that you're in now.

Amex BCE 24.5K | BofA Cash Rewards 15K | CSP MC 13.5K| Chase Freedom 7.5K | Discover IT 3K
Message 13 of 15
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I decided to call and close it.  I don't use the card.   If I am ever living near Target again and the 5% is still more appealing than my CC rewards, I will reapply.   I don't need the account for utilization. 

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 14 of 15
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Great move...one less card to worry about Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.