Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal

Target REDcard credit limit reduced

I guess I was asking for this, since I haven't used my REDcard in over 1 year, but I noticed that my credit limit has been slashed down to $200.   I can only assume that they are about to close the account.  So I am now debating whether I want to let this get closed automatically, close it myself, or start shopping for Target stuff online in order to keep this account open.  I am leaning toward option 1: let the credit grantor close the account.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:701
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Valued Contributor
Crashem

Re: Target REDcard credit limit reduced

Have you been inactive with card or is there a credit issue that is causing this decrease?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Regular Contributor
manwoot

Crashem wrote:

Have you been inactive with card or is there a credit issue that is causing this decrease?

DaveSignal wrote:

I guess I was asking for this, since I haven't used my REDcard in over 1 year, but I noticed that my credit limit has been slashed down to $200.   I can only assume that they are about to close the account.  So I am now debating whether I want to let this get closed automatically, close it myself, or start shopping for Target stuff online in order to keep this account open.  I am leaning toward option 1: let the credit grantor close the account.

Sounds like you don't really need the REDcard :smileyhappy:

AMEX True Earnings (11.5k) || Discover IT (9k) || Chase Sapphire Preferred (6k) || Chase Freedom (5k) || Citi ThankYou Preferred (4.9k) || GE CareCredit (4.9k) || Sallie Mae (4k) || Citi Diamond Preferred (3.4k) || Best Buy (2k) || AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (2k) || Target REDcard (1k)
Valued Contributor
Crashem

manwoot wrote:

Crashem wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

Sounds like you don't really need the REDcard :smileyhappy:

Slow today.  Missed that.  I would still double check my credit reports to make sure.  A lot of card issuers don't really reduce CLs for inactivity but they may close after a really long time.  Although I seem to remember target being one of them.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal

[ Edited ]

yes, it's because I haven't used it... mostly because I don't currently live in a place where there are Target stores.  I certainly don't need the card right now.  I move around a lot though, so that doesn't mean that I won't be near a Target in the future and the 5% off is better than any of my CC rewards.   I guess I can reapply again in the future if I am in such a circumstance.

ETA:  The reduced limit is on my credit reports... that is how I noticed it.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Valued Contributor
kevinjjc

What was the credit limit before? How old is the account?

Super Contributor
CS800

I always keep $5 on it to report; although I shop at the Red Ball store (that's what my daughter calls it) very often

Regular Contributor
jlfce1

DaveSignal wrote:

yes, it's because I haven't used it... mostly because I don't currently live in a place where there are Target stores.  I certainly don't need the card right now.  I move around a lot though, so that doesn't mean that I won't be near a Target in the future and the 5% off is better than any of my CC rewards.   I guess I can reapply again in the future if I am in such a circumstance.

ETA:  The reduced limit is on my credit reports... that is how I noticed it.

Just an fyi....they offer a Target Debit now that links to your checking that offers the same exact benefits as their credit card. I never use my target card anymore because I can get the same rewards, not to mention mine only has a $500 CL. Also - with the redcard (CC & Debit) you get free shipping when you use it at Target.com. 

After reading this, I may as well close it.

Amex BCE 24.5K | BofA Cash Rewards 15K | CSP MC 13.5K| Chase Freedom 7.5K | Discover IT 3K
New Contributor
tinom1234

DaveSignal wrote:

Oh gosh...same thing happened to me. I had a $500 limit, they lowered it to $200, and then closed it. Bah. All due to inactivity. They never even told me they were closing it; I found out via my credit report. I just use the Target Debit Card for the 5% discount now.

EX 758 | EQ 721 | TU 768
Goal: 760+ across the board by May 2015
Gold Delta SkyMiles AMEX $32.8K | Citi Thank You Preferred $7K | Discover It $8.2K | Chase $3K + a few store cards
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal

kevinjjc wrote:

What was the credit limit before? How old is the account?

Was at $700.  Not a huge amount, but enough to buy things at Target.  A drop to $200 is definitely noticeable though.  The account was opened sometime in 2011, about 2 years ago.  I haven't used it since July or August of 2012.  I might just let them close it if they want.  Or I will just call and close this card, plus a few others that I don't use.  They aren't really doing anything for me right now, don't have any significant effect on my utilization, and just take up space in my sock-drawer wallet.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+